1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Progressive rear springs for Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nfschlaack, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey all,

I have seen other threads for rear suspension solutions/upgrades but didn't find anything about these kind of springs. I am wondering if there are any after market progressive coil springs that are made for the Prius. I know they exist or used to. I had them put on a 1985 Buick Regal years back and worked pretty well. They are/were like two coil springs in one. One section pre compressed and the other in normal configuration. They worked well when loaded lightly and "kicked in" when heavier loads were applied. It was simple technology and would work very well in this application in my opinion.

So the obvious question is, does anyone know of such a product and/or where I could get more info?

Thanks.

2. DaveLadely

DaveLadely Junior Member

Your description of progressive springs is a bit confusing. The term"progressive" alone describes the springs. Instead of linear springs, which compress proportionally to the load, progressive springs start out with lower resistance to compression at first, often lower than factory, to provide a very smooth ride, and then compress proportionately as the load increases, thus resisting compression more and more as the force increases. This proportional increase in compression provided great resistance to tipping of the car and improves handling on rough roads. And yes, B & G makes progressive springs for the Prius, as does Eibach. Eibach are a much better deal at about $250.00 a set. With any progressive springs, good gas shocks should replace the factory oil shocks, and, since the car is lowered an inch or so, the Eibach front and rear alignment kits should be purchased. Since the factory Prius does not allow such alignment, the alignment kits are a plus. The springs, shocks, alignment kits are fairly simple to install. Eibach provided the progressive springs for the Prius that won in its class at the Bonneville Salt flats, over 130 mph!