1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Props for the Nav system

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by mistertudball, May 18, 2015.

1. mistertudball

mistertudball New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've never had a navigation system in a car before, but our new Prius v has one and I used it for the second time this past weekend to get from home, 75 miles to a wedding, then to the hotel, then to the reception, in a city (Dayton) whose main Interstate is completely torn up in the downtown area, exactly where I was going. Exits closed everywhere. The Nav instructions were flawless and it even alerted me to road construction on the way there. My sister and mother didn't fare as well using OnStar, which told them to take exits that were closed, and the reroutes were even worse. Feeling a little smug.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    road construction alert? no way! There's no real live updates on the Prius Nav. Are you sure you weren't using google maps?

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's funny. People beat the Prius v Nav bloody, yet I've had more experience like yours than not.

Nav plus smart phone as a cellular network connection and you get live traffic.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My experience with my 2010 Navigation has not been all that positive.

5. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even my Prius 2014 lift-back updated me of the trafic jams ahead. for the updates to happen, the Nav must be connected to the internet using BlueToothj.

6. mistertudball

mistertudball New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well I don't have a smartphone and was using just the Prius Nav. There was no work being done on I-70 when the system alerted me "road construction 10 miles ahead" but the orange barrels were in place. No traffic thankfully. Is the Nav system in a v level 5 with the tech package any different than lower models or prior years?

7. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    mistertudball - You have the v Model Five, which includes SiriusXM NavTraffic -- so you are getting live traffic, exit closures, etc. without the need for a smartphone.

People in lower trim levels with the 6.1 inch screen nav systems (like my liftback model Four without sunroof) need to connect their smartphone in order to get the traffic and construction information to show up on the built-in nav.

8. mistertudball

mistertudball New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    One of my favorite albums ever, Breakfast.

So even though I usually love quiet on drives and have not yet even looked at this audio option, this might be a reason to keep SiriusXM when the free period runs out? No clue what it costs but I'm sure I'll find out.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're separate packages - You can have SiriusXM audio, SiriusXM NavTraffic or combine both services (which is the trial you have right now).

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No complaints with our 2012 v NAV, absolute and in comparison to a Garmin 1490TM with traffic and current maps.

11. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's from the days where there was no GPS and "you took the long way home" :)

mistertudball likes this.
  12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I bought ChuggyPig (2009 Gen II), there was another contender on the lot and although the colour was nice (Pine Green?) it also had Nav & BlueTooth, but I couldn't get my phone to sync with the BlueTooth in the car, and it did not have the "Touring" option, so I went with ChuggyPig (Touring option - nicer wheels, HIDs & fogs etc.), and I didn't really need the nav. option as I bought a Garmin 276C about 10 years ago which I used in my old Corolla, although the Garmin has some very interesting quirks, I've found the mapping application in my SmartPhone to be far, far better than the Garmin, and of course is always right up-to-date!

#12 WilDavis, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  13. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Gen 6 nav uses XM traffic that requires monthly service fee. Gen 7 nav Entune uses Entune app on cellphone to get traffic info at no cost.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 7 Denso units (7" HDD) use XMNav Traffic. Gen 7 6.1" Display Audio units use cellular data.

Gen 8 units on the other hand, I'm not sure. (Gen 8s all use microSD cards and range from 6.1"-8")

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't need Enture (unavailable for WinPhone 8.1), just a cellular data connection.

16. G Man v5

G Man v5 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WAZE app beats them all........

17. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Waze is great. I use it more often than the built in GPS in my 2015 Prius v Wagon Five w/ATP. I would LOVE to have Waze be supported by Entune Apps.

/Jim