1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pure White Owners?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by aomC, Apr 12, 2014.

1. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    just wondering how many PiP Pure White owners there are on the board. I was noticing today probably 15 Prius, maybe 6 of which were PiP, but they are all Blizzard Pearl (and numerous other ones in other colors, but not PW). Also, it doesn't seem like you can configure it for PW on the Toyota website, just wondering how rare they are?

2. Tgreco

Tgreco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a 2014 Pearl White PIP. I have always liked the look of a white Prius, my second choice would have been red. Years ago I worked with an old time body shop instructor. He would tell me that you never buy a small car in a dark color as the darker color would make the car look smaller than it was. His feelings were that small cars look much better in lighter tone colors and actually stand out. Another body shop person I know said that it is difficult to judge the year of any vehicle that is white. As I age I would have to agree with them. :)

3. ckam1989

ckam1989 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a Blizzard Pearl Pip 2014.

They call it "Super White" in the catalogs. I don't remember seeing that color offered at the dealerships when I bought my Pip. And I thought the "Super White" option was no longer being offered for models after 2011 in US.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    'plain' white afaiknew, was only available on the Prius I (for 2010) and then One after 2010. Prius II (for 2010) and Two thereafter came in Blizzard Pearl.

If the PiP was available in 'plain' white, not pearl white in the US, I was honestly never aware of it.

ckam1989 likes this.
  5. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, I stand corrected, yes it's actually called Super White (one sales guy called it Pure White, so it stuck), but after reviewing the paperwork, they do call it Super White.

Yes, I agree it's seems like such a rare color for the PiP, I haven't seen another one at all and yes I've seen tons of regular and PiP Blizzard Pearls. Originally, that was actually one of the colors I wanted, for its pearlescent effect. But after seeing them side by side, I realized that unlike the Pearl White of Lexus (which is more of a white frosty color), the BP color was a little more cream/yellow, so I ended up deciding on the Superwhite and now don't see anyone else with it, much less a PiP. Strange. I wonder how it was built to end up with a color that wasn't "available" (at least not even online in the configurator).

ckam1989 likes this.
  6. ckam1989

ckam1989 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow I would love to see your pip against a pearl to see the comparison. :) I completely agree with you. There a thousands and thousands of pearl pips and prii 3rd gen, but I haven't seen any pure white pip

SPH-D710 ?

7. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sure, that shouldn't be too hard ;) I'll find one to park next to this week. Strange thing is that it photographs (it seems) almost like the white of the Blizzard, but side by side, the Blizzard looks much creamier/yellower, in real life.

ckam1989 likes this.
  8. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Weird, this was on Wikipedia, obviously they're a bit off on that statement, but if you were to just consider it anecdotally, it would seem true (though my 2014 doesn't bear that out). The plot thickens!:

2011 facelift[edit]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Facelifted Prius third generation exhibited at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show
    In mid-2011 (for the 2012 model year), the third-generation Prius Liftback received modest style and equipment changes. The exterior changes include updated headlamps, revised tail lamps, plus a distinctive front fascia and bumper, and the deletion of the "Super White" color option in the United States. Prospective American Prius buyers wanting a white exterior must either choose the "Blizzard Pearl" color (a metallic off-white) for an additional $220, or choose another make or model...

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As mentioned, I believe the Super White was only available for the Prius I, which was a stripped-down version for fleet sales.

10. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    The first 2014 Advanced PiP with the Tech package were Super White. You couldn't find any other color if you wanted the Tech package.

As much as I wanted another color, the Blizzard Pearl was acceptable enough as it wasn't boring Super White. Of course, within a week of my purchase, a plethora of Advanced with Tech packages in other colors started rolling in. :eek:

13. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I see so many Blizzard Pearls now that I'm kind of put off by the color. It's literally a dime a dozen here in SoCal (pretty much I see NO other color, except maybe for magnetic). I do wish it wasn't so cream/yellow. I prefer the Pearl White of Lexus (which is like a frost white, no yellow/cream hue at all).

Originally, there was a dealership with both colors side by side and for me it was hands down the Super White that I preferred (which was kind of shocking, since I walked in there w/ the intent to purchase a Blizzard Pearl, go figure). I think I like the purity of the color and how its such a brilliant white w/o any other hues. And I suppose I hadn't seen many other PiP (or even regular Prius) in that Super White color, so it really stood out and apparently it's indeed rare.

Though my biggest concerns were getting a recent builddate (for the updated crash protection) and <5 miles on the odo, my superwhite did fit that bill.

14. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So where does the white fall under that I'm considering buying ?

Boring or extra boring

because other then the color its exactly what I'm looking for in a used low miles 11k and loaded with Prius Advanced Technology Package just not crazy about white but very very hard to find package like this with low miles

Trying to make up my mind there asking 21k out the door what do you prius people think ?

Used 2011 Toyota Prius V For Sale in Leesburgh, FL | Vin:

15. ckam1989

ckam1989 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You could probably give them a call and ask if it's Pearl or Super White. It looks Pearl to me.
    I don't think Pearl or White is boring haha. It's a safe color and easy to sale back. : ) A lot of people are fond of the white colors.

16. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    White is the new silver, more white car out there than any other color in last couple of years.

17. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, that is true, White has replaced silver as the most popular color...in the 90s it was green, then dark grays/blacks, then silver really took off and the past 4 years, it's been white. Looks like it's going to stay that way for a bit.

Regarding if it's a color you'd want to buy, you're the one driving and owning the car, if you can't live with the color or have any misgivings, then by all means,don't buy this one. Some people just won't own a white, or a black, or a beige car..

18. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    I understood white was popular because in California heat absorbing colours were recently forbidden by the State so the car ran cooler inside, used less air-conditioning and so less fuel.

Car manufactures supplied the 'stars' with 'courtesy' white cars to get the colour promoted and the masses imitated their icons.

In the UK, plain white is available as a no cost option. We found it very harsh so we paid the extra for the slightly grayer Pearlescent White. It is not too common, I have only seen one other.

Plain white is getting common across all marques as it is normally the cheapest option available.

19. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
  20. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    White wasn't really my first couple of choices, I had a Red 2010 Prius II, my choice when I leased my PIp was, blizzard, silver ,or dark grey, blizzard was lesser of the evils. But I've grown to really like it. Drove a pure white company car for years!