1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pure White Owners?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by aomC, Apr 12, 2014.

1. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S

Please don't spread clearly false information. snopes.com: California Banning Black Cars

2. Ian Mayo

Ian Mayo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's interesting, and might indeed explain the prevalence of white colored cars in the past 4 years. But that would seem to be only a proposal, did legislation actually take place to mandate those suggestions? Also, the ARB's jurisdiction is only in the California, I believe the prevalence of white colored cars stretches both nationwide and even globally? That'd be flattering if ARB's reach were that great.

However, back to the original point... it doesn't explain why there are pretty much NO Super White 2014 PiP's out there. I mean, I haven't come across any yet AND no one on this board has indicated they own one. Also, all other colors are exactly the same price as Super White (ie no charge), so I don't see why Toyota doesn't even market it anymore on their online configurator.

4. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S

I stand in defense of my response to your patently incorrect statement "in California heat absorbing colours were recently forbidden by the State." Black included. :) Now, if you said that California was previously CONSIDERING limiting certain colors (er, colours) there'd have no ambiguity in your statement.

"The requirement was never at any point to limit consumer color choices or ban any colors. Based on input from the automotive industry, paint, pigment suppliers, and comments from a public workshop held on March 12th, ARB staff has determined that a clear path to achieve solar reflectivity for the darker colors has not yet been identified. We are planning to address the paint-related portion of the proposal in a future regulatory action." - Cool Cars and Reflective Glazing

Further, this entire regulatory proposed schema was canceled in 2010: New Release: 2010-03-24 Statement from ARB Executive Officer James N. Goldstene on Cool Cars Regulation

Peace!

See 2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in Color Options - CarsDirect

And believe me, when the PiP Advanced with Tech Package came out, I was scouring SoCal for them, and the first ones at the two dealers that had 'em were Super White.

5. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So where are my SW brethren? While they are indeed out there, I haven't seen any on the road and no one the board has mentioned it. Perhaps when it comes time to sell, I can market it as a "rare" color, haha!

6. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S

(y) Given I don't see them in inventory at the two dealers, there are at least four more SW Advanced w Tech plying the streets of SoCal.