1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PWR green or grey indicator on HSI

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by phatchet, Jan 9, 2012.

1. phatchet

phatchet New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've just got Prius II and I am wondering the PWR indicator on HSI.

On HSI, what does it mean by the green "PWR" and grey "PWR"?
    I was searching on Google but I found nothing about this, and Toyota manual doesn't help me at all.

Do you guys have any ideas how to make it green or grey and how it helps accelerate the speed?

I also attached the picture of "PWR" green and grey on HSI.

Thanks in advance,
    Newbie...Phatchet

Attached Files:

2. Kore971

Kore971 PEDD-CESC

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does yours change like this or is it just two pictures you got online..., because there is no difference, if your lights are off the whole HSI is green during the day, and and turns kinda grayish at night when the panel dims, it changes no performance characteristics of the Prius...

1 person likes this.
  3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Turn the instrument panel dimmer all the way up so it clicks and the display should be the same, day or night.

1 person likes this.
  4. phatchet

phatchet New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got those pictures online, but the point is the color of word "PWR" color.

Even the dimmer all the way up or all the way down...The "PWR" color is different.

Please take a look closely at "PWR" font color.

Thanks,
    Phatchet

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For the dimmer to be all the way up, it has to click. When it does, the PWR word will be the same color, day or night. The display will also be the same brightness, lights off or on. Your photo of the display, on the left, looks like mine without the display turned all the way up. The photo on the right is when it is all the way up.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to guess those aren't your photos?

The reason I ask is that there's an issue with colour on the left one (the "green" PWR). The dot beside the tag "Hybrid System Indicator" should be red. The fact that it's green in the left photo says to me that the camera didn't capture the colours properly and thus the reason why the word PWR is also green.

There's no difference and with the human eye, it shouldn't change colour.

1 person likes this.
  7. phatchet

phatchet New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks both of you.

Those pictures aren't mine, yes, but I used to get both green and grey colors before.
    As of now, I can't get the word 'PWR' green no matter all the way up or down.
    That's why I'm so curious about this thing, if it's something wrong about PWR system.

Thanks,
    Phatchet

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I think it's an artefact of the VFD (vacuum fluorescent display). If you don't use an area for long, it'll also show up as red instead of green (e.g. if you always stick with the Trip odometer, switch back to the Odometer and I'm sure you first or first two numbers will be red instead of green). I've had the Consumption bars and leaf cars imprinted in the screen before (confused the heck out of me when I was on the HSI screen and saw a ghost image).