1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about dealer maintenance requirements

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sharon P., Jul 2, 2014.

1. Sharon P.

Sharon P. New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2011 and have gotten free maintenance for the last two years. The dealer offers free tires and small battery for life if I always have factory required maintenance done with them. So when I schedule to make an appt. online, the maintenance required costs about $200. It includes:

I already went through a set of tires, in about 30,000 miles. They replaced them, but still charged me a for less tread wear on two tires, and alignment, about $100 total.
    So I am not sure if I should have this expensive maintenance done to keep getting 'free' tires, or pass and have the maintenance done elsewhere for less. I seemed to go through tires quickly, but I am not sure what the brand was. Any advise?
    TIA

Replace engine air filter $35.99 [​IMG]
    Replace cabin air filter [​IMG] $59.99 [​IMG]
    Inspect fuel system $0.00 [​IMG]
    Inspect radiator core and condenser $0.00 [​IMG]
    Rotate tires and inspect tire pressure [​IMG] $29.99 [​IMG]
    Change synthetic engine oil and filter [​IMG] $69.99 [​IMG]
    Multi-point inspection [​IMG] $0.00 [​IMG]
    Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

$0.00 [​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! we could use a bit more info. does he want you in every 5,000 miles for the maintenance manual recommendations? that would only be a tyre rotation and oil and filter very 10,000. filters at 30,000 intervals. you should get the info off the tyres and post it here so we can see the value.

i don't understand why they charged you for less tread wear, what does that mean? a decent set of tyres are expensive, so this may not be a bad deal. but it has to be profitable for the dealer, so the quality of the tyres is key. all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    At that price, I'd buy my own tires and 12v battery.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Air Filters (both cabin & engine) will set you back around $35 (for the pair) from your local Auto Parts store (perhaps even less if you get them on Amazon or eBay) - they're a doddle to install (I did mine recently, there's no way I'd pay a dealer nearly $100 to do a job I could do myself in 10 mins (really!) with parts I could get for $35. I don't know about the other items in you list. BTW: Welcome to PC, you've certainly come to the right place for all Prius-related information!

KateBird22 likes this.