1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

question on the tire wear bars

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Former Member 68813, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just rotated the OEM Ecopia tires at near 40,000 miles. They still have some life left (5000-10,000 miles). I noticed that there are wide wear bars and I'm 1-2 mm from reaching those, but there are also other narrower and shallower bars. Is this wet vs snow type of indicator? I'll try to take a picture later.

Edit: Never mind, there are arrowheads next to the real wear bars and not next to the smaller ones, so they are not really wear bars.

#1 Former Member 68813, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Why Why risk it. Have you notice any change when driving during wet conditions?

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I go by two things for replacing tires.

1. Your tread levels with the "wear bars."

2. Your tires start slipping on wet roads even if there is good tread.

On the second one, as a tire ages/wears, the compound becomes harder. Indeed most all tires have compound that runs hard to soft as you go from the base of the tire outward. The harder the rubber, the less it "sticks" to the road. Once you start slipping tires on wet pavement on a regular basis, it's pretty much time to look for new tires.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problems with traction whatsoever. Don't worry, I'll replace them as soon as the wear bars are exposed. In my experience tires wear slower when they have little tread left. The last couple of mm last for a long time.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One word, hydroplaning. When you feel the front tires lose contact with the road surface, especially going through a standing puddle, or driving at freeway/highway speed on a very wet road surface. That's a big indicator that it's time for new tires. ;)