1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question re TV Soundbar Subwoofer Placement

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Calling all home theatre experts or wannabe experts!

I'm getting a Sony HCT500 Soundbar to try to improve sound clarity from my Sony XBR4 TV. Since it comes with a subwoofer, I have to decide where to put it. The soundbar mounts below or above the TV. The TV sits on a waist high built in cabinet, in front of the built in shelves that are above the cabinet (you had to know it wasn't going to fit between the shelves!:D). There's space in the corner on one side of the cabinets where I could set the subwoofer on the floor, provided I was willing to drill some holes in the interior and exterior walls of the cabinet. I'm guessing my wife is not going to like this idea. There's also a serious concern that our male cat will decide to "mark" it (what can I say, he was a rescue and he never got over this charming aspect of his personality :rolleyes:).

What would be the best placement? Regardless of that, can I get away with putting the subwoofer on top of the cabinet (at the same level as the TV), or will that just not really work well? If so, can I get away with putting it behind the TV? :confused:

By way of background, it will mainly be used for TV and movies, though I might also listen to the FM that comes with the soundbar, and hook up an airport express to listen to my itunes music. My SO has one bad ear, so surround sound is not even desirable from her point of view, though I'd love it. Our main problem is the side firing speakers on the TV actually better/clearer standing off to the side than they do sitting in front of the TV, and she is starting to lose some range of hearing. Plus, we have an open room arrangement where the least bit of noise from the kitchen can overwhelm the TV sound.

Thanks in advance for any advice.:)

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say stick the subwoofer under your chair. :)

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Would that it would fit, or was one of those wireless subs! :D

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A great resource i've found: Aperion University - Multichannel Speaker Placement - Aperion Audio
    So, in short... positioning doesn't matter too much. Sub's provide ambiance more than they do audible sound. the only thing you really have to worry about is it sounding uneven side to side based on placement. Placing it in a front corner of the room is generally best.

1 person likes this.
  5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be very difficult for some people to hear in a busy, noisy environment, which would be most family kitchens. ;) If there was even a small room you could put the tv in, the sound would be much better for both of you.