1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

quick question on speakers for the c

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by steelrain, Jan 27, 2013.

1. steelrain

steelrain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Ok just got my prius c, loved it, with the exception of no cruise or rear speakers but due to three price difference ended up being better to deal with it and add later. Are the wires already run to the door or do I need to run those as well? Figured I'd ask before owning things up.

I'll leave cruise to the stealership sure to air bag unless anyone had a good diy guide.

Thanks!

2. Rick Smih

Rick Smih Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    I'm pretty sure there are not wires run to the back doors. I had the panels off and couldn't find any. The dealer mentioned that it might need a harness which they wanted $200.00 plus for the harness and $450.00 to install the two rear speakers. I certainly won't be paying that kind of money for rear speakers.

3. steelrain

steelrain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Wow, well speakers and lines are easy to run, problem would be if it really needs a different harness.

If the headunit is capable of rear speakers ans just needs rear lines added them that's better.

4. vrej sarkissian

vrej sarkissian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    has anyone installed the rear speakers? did you need to run speaker wires or were they already in there?

5. steelrain

steelrain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Well I have the cut outs etc from factory buy looks like I'm running wires. I'm thinking a different rear harness and a jumper for the dimmer so I'm not cutting the stock harness. Nothing crazy for speakers maybe basic kickers or pioneers. The space is limited though so if I did add a sub I'm thinking bazooka tube *flame posts elsewhere* mainly to hit those deeper sounds without getting crackling I've passed on the shaking my ear drum days. I'm focusing on cruise first after that if no one else does it ill make a write up as I go for rears.

6. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got our "C 1" a few weeks ago and already installed rear speakers. There are no speaker wires going to the rear door. What you need to do is go buy a 1987 and up toyota rear speaker plug/harness from your local radio shop/best buy. Then you will unplug the connector on the back of the radio that has only one wire going to it (that's your illumination wire) it will match the rear speaker plug you bought, you will have to double check the color schematics because I don't remember them at the moment. You will end up cutting the connector off the 1 wire plug and attaching it to the illumination wire on the new harness. Then make your speaker connections and run the wires. I took the time to run the wires along side the factory harnesses and drilled some of the empty spots in the molex style booted plug that goes from the door jamb to the rear door, you would never know I installed the speakers

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  7. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    did anybody actually install some speakers in the rear doors? what speakers and size? and special instructions?

8. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did. I installed Orion 6 1/2" coaxials

9. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    so 6.5 speakers will fit? i bet the sound improved a lot huh? 2012PriusC how to did you run the wires? did you what was stated earlier about buying that special harness or what?

10. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the 6 1/2" Orion's fit in my door. The sound is better, but don't expect a miracle. The stock C1? head unit must not be supplying a bunch of power (I expected a little more). As far as the harness, there is a rear speaker "harness" that has been used on Toyota's since 1987 and that harness still works on the 2012 (most stereo shops stock them) , it gives you about 4 inches of wire to connect your speaker wires. I ran mine behind the dash, under the rocker moldings and up to the molex plug that supplies wiring to the rear doors (cleanest way), I had to drill thru the empty cavities in the molex plug to get the speaker wire to fit. If you have any questions, just ask

kingnba6 likes this.
  11. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    thanks. you pretty much gave me all that i needed. the correct harness and how to route the wires to the rear door. thanks