1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio "locked out", steering wheel controls work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by alexilic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My '07 is doing something it's never done in the previous 50k. My radio is not responding to inputs? I can use the steering wheel controls with no issues, but the actual radio buttons.. no?? All the lights are lit up orange(my mfd is set to orange?). Did I press a combination of buttons to "lock out" the radio? I tried the manual, no luck. Search function here, no luck? Help :pray2:

2. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    See this thread. If you're out of warranty, you're out of luck.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try hitting the radio panel (not too hard) with the palm of your hand. The radio probably has a loose connection within.

If that doesn't work, then disconnect the 12V negative terminal for 5 minutes, then reconnect.

If that doesn't work, then you'll probably have to buy a salvage control head, or else see if a stereo shop can repair your existing unit.

4. geognerd

geognerd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, count me in on this problem as well. Radio worked fine this morning, then none of the radio buttons on the dashboard would work this afternoon. Power, AM, FM, AUX, etc would not work. However, the volume knob and tuning knob still work, as do the steering wheel controls. But since the radio power button doesn't work, that means the closest I can get to off is AUX with no input. I usually have the radio on or my MP3 player connected (AUX) anyway, but it would be nice for the power button to work.

I'll cross my fingers and give the panel a thump on the way home tonight. I am 1 month/2k miles out of warranty. Pretty lame build quality if my radio is shot already. I do have a Toyota extended warranty. Hope the radio is covered if there is a problem. I planned on making a routine service visit this weekend, so I'll mention the problem even if hitting the radio panel works.

5. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do have another Power button!! The 'MODE' button on your steering wheel, if you hold it down, will turn off your radio as well as turn it on :D

6. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As for the rest of you with this issue.. do you have CD's in your radio? I ended up taking mine out since I mostly listen to stuff of my iPhone thru AUX. Since removing the CD's, I have not had the radio issue!! Let me if any others find the same conclusion.

7. jtrosario

jtrosario Prius Pioneer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To note, I had the extended warranty when my in-dash 6 CD player failed. Two Toyota dealers told me it wasn't covered. When I was at a third dealer to get a price quote on it, they called it in and repaired it with the extended warranty coverage - no charge.

Also, call Toyota Customer Care if you're "close", say 40,000 miles. They can work wonders sometimes, especially if you're a Prius owner. ;)

For me, I still have to check with 2-3 dealers for anything, including individual maintenance items for a WIDE variety of pricing and go with the lowest priced dealer, no pattern - usually one of the three usually comes with much lower pricing. I also DIY whatever little things I can to save the most $$$.

8. geognerd

geognerd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the MODE button to turn the radio on. I didn't know it also turned the radio off. Makes sense; thanks for the tip.

I gave the face of the stereo a little whack tonight and my stereo buttons work again. Odd, but it worked. Who knows how long they will work. Even though I'm out of the 3/36k warranty, I will make sure the dealer documents this when I go in for routine service in a few days.

@alexilic - I've used the CD player maybe 10 times in three years, and a disc wasn't in there when I had my problem today.

9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This very same thing just happened to me today! My Prius is just tad over 3 years old and thus outside the warranty. This was my first Toyota. I have never had a vehicle with a radio button failure before. Is this supposed to be what Toyota quality is all about?

UPDATE: Tapping on the right side of the radio, on the vent panel, seems to have gotten my buttons working again. For how long......who knows.

10. TAP

TAP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I've experienced the same problem with my 2009 Prius which would happen at least once a week and had the dealer check it on 3 occasions the last being yesterday.
    They finally realized the problem was sporatic and they couldn't correct it and have ordered a replacement radio since it is still under warranty.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately replacing the radio is not a long term solution, the problem will come up again.

12. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it was just a bad batch of radios before the manufacturers had quite figured out RoHS.

13. 67_tele

67_tele Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm having this same problem with my '06 Prius. I brought it to the dealer and they said it'd be $400 for a new stereo. Grrrr!!!

14. tsingel

tsingel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

15. tsingel

tsingel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the same problem after hitting a huge pothole on my 2007 prius. I tapped above the buttons with the heel of my hand, not real hard, and the cd indicator lights came back on and the buttons started working. Work around from the steering wheel worked fine in the interim.