1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random (?) play of USB tunes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CaliforniaBear, Apr 17, 2014.

1. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I put the play into Random it seems to play certain tunes quite often. Has anyone else seen this? My guess is their random number generator isn't very "random" and doesn't consider nearby duplicates. My design would have generated a complete random play list with no duplicates every time the car is turned on. Even with their random(?) number generator perhaps starting on similar numbers it would at least go through all tunes before starting again.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you considering it across different times that you start the car, or will it play the same song twice in a single trip?

I've noticed that when I have it play music from my phone, it will sometimes start over in the random order, repeating the same songs I heard a week or two ago - but this is controlled by my phone, not the car.

Another possibility is that it really IS random - humans are notoriously bad at recognizing "random"; we feel like if we hear a song twice, it's not very random. But it's just as likely to play as any other song. This is especially true if it's re-shuffling each time you turn the car on; many MP3 players will only reshuffle once, then play through all the music once, so you hear everything exactly once, but in a random order. If the car reshuffles every time you turn it on, it probably won't seem very random to you.

Even worse, if it just picks a random song from all possible songs each time (i.e. choosing songs "with replacement"), then you might even hear the same song twice in a row.

On my computer, I made a special playlist that contains only songs that haven't been played in the past few weeks; when I choose it, I know I'll hear something I haven't heard in a while, making it seem just a bit more random, even if it decides to re-shuffle everything.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be my imagination, but I think I have to agree.

I can have hundreds and hundreds of songs on a USB stick and when I choose random it seems like it is selecting from a pool of about 30.

Could I be imagining this? Certainly.

USB sticks are cheap enough that I just keep 3-4 of them with different musical styles and folders on each.