1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle Noise at Low RPM's

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PatrickN, Jul 17, 2012.

1. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello. I have recently had the fix done on my Prius for the Vibration after Cold Soaks. I also installed the Signal Side Mirrors around the same time. Shortly after both of these changes, I started to notice a noise coming that sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment in front of the passenger. It sounded like a cable rattling against a plastic piece. The noise did not always occur.

I assumed that this was the cable for the side mirrors rattling around inside of the bumper. I opened this area up and used fittings to secure the cable much better. This did nothing. The noise was the exact same.

I recently discovered that the noise only occurs when my engine is on and running at low RPMs. I'm both extremely excited to know that it's probably not my wiring that's causing the problem, but I'm not sure what is. I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday morning but I was hoping to ask you guys if you have any idea what it is before I go.

Thank you very much for any help.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doubt it is wiring. Perhaps you left a tool on top of the engine. One member, long ago, found his hood support came loose and was riding on top of the engine making a similar noise.

Just a few ideas.

PatrickN likes this.
  3. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. I don't think that's it but I'll double check. Thank you very much for the response.

4. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Possibly right fender defective clips. There is a TSB if you do a search.

PatrickN and LulzChicken like this.
  5. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Problem solved, the dealership found a clip that wasn't on correctly. Thanks for everyone who responded.

LulzChicken and spiderman like this.
  6. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did it happen to sound like this? If so you just might have solved my issue too. I had the same TSB done as you and I got this unknown rattle as well.

7. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's hard to determine from your audio, but is it a on-and-off ticking sound coming from the instrument cluster? I had that too and had to remove the dash-plate and cluster to find out all the plastic clips holding the cluster together were dry and made the noise. I had to soak each snap-connector with silicon before it would go away. It's a huge job to do.

8. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I could be wrong but mine sounded like from the engine area. But yes...it is an on and off again ticking/tapping noise.

9. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's probably the cluster. Unfortunately, the cluster is extremely complex in its design. The fuel gage, speedo, instant MPG and gear indicators are all projected up from an area below where you see it (just put a piece of paper over that lower area in front of the speedo and watch the display disappear!) The touch tracer components are actually behind the lens you view. When the cluster is extracted, the components making up the projection and viewing areas are all held together by some screws and many little "stab-lock" plastic connectors. This is what abrades making the ticking sounds you hear.

10. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're talking about the sound from 23 secs to 30 secs that was the exact same sound I had. It may not be the same problem that I had, but it sounds just like it. I'll post a picture of where the tech at Toyota applied the tape tomorrow morning, hopefully that can help you.

Unlimited_MPG likes this.
  11. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey. The vibration noise for me was coming from the black tube that runs across the front of the car from the pink container on the passenger side. I'm embaressed to not know what that pink container is but oh well. He put some tape with foam on the bottom on the black tube in the area that it is in a channel. This way when it bounces around in the channel the foam eliminates the noise.

If these pictures don't help, just let me know and I'll take more or perhaps a video.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      3.6 MB
      Views:
    • 00.jpg
      00.jpg
      File size:
      3.4 MB
      Views:
    Unlimited_MPG likes this.
  12. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks PatrickN for the excellent pictures. I'm going to try to dampen my prius in the same spot and see what happens. I've got nothing to lose :)

13. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

Hey Patrick. Could you take a look the youtube video and let me know if you are hearing the same exact thing?

Thanks.

Noise while accelerating - youtube video | PriusChat

14. PatrickN

PatrickN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry but I'm leaning towards it not sounding the same as mine, but it might be. If my problem required a lot of work I'd say to not try it, but because my fix was simply a piece of tape on an easy to get to part... you might as well try it. However, I'm sad to say that I don't think it's the same problem.

If you're still under warranty, just bring it to the dealer like I did.

Good luck and I really wish I could help more.

15. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I did before I made the video and they test drove it. They said they didn't hear anything.
    I'm going to email them the video.
    Thanks for responding.

16. shogo_tnt

shogo_tnt New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the exact same sound on my 2011 Prius and I was wondering if it was normal.
    Did you guys fix the issue?
    I have a youtube video of the sound too. /watch/?v=QSgnMN7GyZk

The sound is more clear when the car is still warming up.
    It occurs at certain rpm.

Thanks.

17. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlimited MPG hasn't been on PriusChat for over a month (05/06/13) so you may not get a response for a while.

Speaking for myself, the sound I was getting with my car is different than what you are hearing with your car.
    I never got this issue resolved. Toyota couldn't find anything wrong and was guessing it might be the type of oil (0w20) in hot temperatures. He suggested to try 5w20 or 5w30 (can't remember which one).
    I haven't had an oil change since, but I'm going to stick with the 0w20. 0w20 is what is displayed on the oil cap and I think it will give a little bit better gas mileage.

The rattling noise only happens in warm to hot temperatures.
    During the winter I had no problems, it didn't happen once, then in late March/early April it started happening again when temperatures rose to the high 80s-90's F.

I'm surprised you didn't get any response to your May 30th post.
    Was your sister getting the buzzing sound when she had the car? How long has this been happening?
    Maybe the suggestion above (#11) might fix it.

18. shogo_tnt

shogo_tnt New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi kalome,

Thank you for your response. The noise is small enough that I didn't notice it until I turned off the radio one day. I didn't ask my sister if she noticed it because she doesn't pay attention to details. I've only had the car for 1-2 months but I can hear it every time I drive the car and it is warming up on certain rpm.

I want to show it at the dealership but my car would've warmed up by the time I drove there and it is hard to describe. The sound is coming from the front right console/window section.
    After looking at various forums, some people said it was fixed by their dealership when they referenced this.
    T-SB-0141-10 Upper/Lower Windshield/Rear Glass Tick Noise

I'm thinking about giving it a shot and seeing if the dealership can fix it.

19. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    "I want to show it at the dealership but my car would've warmed up by the time I drove there and it is hard to describe."

Can you drop off the car the night before using the overnight drop box and ask them to check for the buzzing sound first thing in the morning?

Hope it is the T-SB-041-10 Upper/Lower.....and you get it fixed.
    Good luck!

20. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the Prius experience.