1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear axle cracks/rust at corner or bushing arm (w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by luiset83, Oct 6, 2014.

1. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Hello,

Just hit 225k with my 2004 Prius about a week ago. I passed inspection without replacing the (slightly) cracked rubber bushings for now, but what worries me is the cracks and a slight hole (it has not rusted completely through, thankfully). Pictures attached. Should I do anything about this, and if so what?

axle_bushing_driver_side.jpg axle_bushing_passenger_side.jpg

Also, I've noticed that when I let go of the brake pedal, especially after a medium to hard stop, I hear a squeaking... what's the cause for that? I know the front rotors have a bit of rust on the edges, but not sure if that's the cause... it seems to come from the back.

Other than that, the only other noise I've noticed is a slight clacking/tapping when the A/C is on, usually in hotter weather. Only thing I needed to pass inspection was to replace the muffler after a year and 1/2 ago, the last non-OEM part they put in at another shop was junk and rusted through pretty badly leaving a hole that was leaking. Ended up getting it replaced at the dealer with the OEM part this time...

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Any competent welder could fix that but it may need removing to weld. Having removed the axle it would probably be quicker and cheaper to replace it with one from a front end damaged vehicle having obtained the part first.
    The replacement axle should be scrubbed down and given a few coats of paint to avoid the problem again.

John (Britprius)

#2 Britprius, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In structural engineering terms, this form of metal fatigue is called "stress corrosion cracking."

The heat generated in the original weld crystalized and modified the metal on each side of the weld.

Repeated flexing opened up microscopic cracks in the metal adjacent to the weld area, allowing water with other corrosive salts to enter.
    Corrosion continues and will eventually cause the area to break off.

Those who have claimed that "rustproofing is NOT needed" should take heed.

From the looks of the photo, this car has had a hard life in an area with the profuse of road salt and other debris with little attention paid to cleaning of the undercarriage.

The only safe and permanent repair is a complete replacement.

Otherwise, the axle will eventually break when placed under stress on the road.

It is an accident waiting to happen.

Repair it NOW or have it break on the road to have it towed in to the shop, hoping you don't have an accident in the process.

uart and exstudent like this.
  4. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Rude person's,

Thanks for the technical term for this. I've started to look into a replacement... I might have to call a few local junkyards and see if they have any because this one-piece axle is heavy and quite expensive to ship. And yes, this car has lived in New England all it's life, coupled with daily commutes of at least 20-40 miles each way... with MA potholes, bridge expansion joints on I-93, etc, etc... it doesn't surprise me that it happened. That being said I do undercarriage washes every now and then and drive the car a while after to make sure it dries... guess that didn't help any :/

Anyone care to take a guess how long this will last before it fails? I suppose it can't be THAT dangerous if they let me pass inspection with it like that... or they just don't give a rat's nice person... opinions?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding the squeak when releasing brakes, that could be at the contact points between the rear brake shoes and their backing plates.

Typically that's 3 points, per shoe, top, middle and bottom. If you can release the shoe's retaining pin clip, then lift the shoe slightly off the backing plate, you can get a dab of anti seize compound into the gaps at contact points.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    luise83,

Unfortunately, it is THAT dangerous. If it was an airplane, it would be grounded.

The state inspection is NOT comprehensive and is only to check basic systems on the car and rust penetration.

In you case, it is an accident waiting to happen. It is fortunate that it has been found. More often than not, it is found after the part fails,

I don't know how old you are, but your life or the life of anyone you affect is not worth a couple of thousand dollars.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are aware of any suspension and brake issues, those need to be immediately addressed:

1. Replace the rear axle.

2. Have the rear brake shoes examined. As previously suggested, it could be that a brake shoe is rubbing against the backing plate - the contact points are supposed to be lubricated with high temp grease.

3. The air conditioner compressor might be showing signs of wear. Or a servo motor which opens/closes the vent doors may be having a problem. As long as the AC is still cooling the car, you can ignore that particular problem.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great info Mike. I think I'll be crawling under (my 2005 prius) tomorrow and inspecting that part. I'm very surprised to see a structural part so badly damaged by corrosion.

9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    man. they must use an awful lot of salt up there. looks like its been in the ocean. look for a 08-09 axle, or one shipped from the SW.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately the front end suspension is probably wiped out too. I wouldn't spend a dime on this until I have had the whole undercarriage completely inspected by a decent suspension mechanic. Down here the tire shops have pretty good guys who know the suspensions pretty good
    so ask around. Avoid the dealer.

Probably cost about $50 to have it inspected. But at that mileage the car is way past end of life under those conditions. I would imagine the
    the cv's and brakes and ball joint/a arm and struts are shot and thats just up front. Thats about $2500 right there.

luiset83 likes this.
  11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just crawled under mine to take a few pics. I gave it one quick wipe with a rag and could still see the original black finish intact.

rear-arm2.jpg

rear-arm1.jpg

This is a 2004/2005 model (built Dec 2004). It's lived it's whole life less than 1km from the Pacific Ocean.

Wow what a difference salt on the roads must make. It clearly trumps hot humid and being near the ocean when it comes to underbody corrosion!

Mike500 likes this.
  12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Australia is one of the driest climates in the world. Maybe it's near the ocean, but, like you said, thy don't salt the roads.

Those of you who say that rustproofing is not necessary in some areas be warned.

Either they don't know about corrosion and metals or they are living in ignorant bliss.

Only gold, platinum and palladium does not corrode in the atmosphere.

Aluminum, stainless steel and titanium gets its corrosion resistance from the formation of an atomic level thickness oxide layer.

For steel, the welds and bolted contact boundary layers between mating parts is where rustproofing does the most good.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Averaged over the whole continent this is true, much of the interior is very dry. Near the coast however we get fairly good rainfall, particularly on the east coast. Where I'm located we get an average of about 47 inches per year (similar to say New York, and lot more than say San Francisco), and fairly evenly distributed. Not too much further north from here it gets more tropical, with quite a bit more rain and a more pronounced wet season / dry season asymmetry.

Anyway, the lack of rust on mine is certainly not due it being overly dry here. Lack of snow and consequent lack of salt on the roads seems to be the main factor. :)

14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where in the world is the OP from? Must use lots and lots of salt on their roads.

That crack would be an immediate safety failure here. I have my annual MOT safety inspection next week and whilst it's always a time of trepidation, I'd rather than that ignore the hidden horrors shown in the ops pic.

To uart. Yes slat on roads really does rust cars - big time. It's also needed to stop you sliding into a ditch on a cold morning. Back in the 70's a car would last about 7 or 8 years before rusting away to nothing. With rust proofing cars will last 20 years or more, though mechanical or safety issues usually get them first. Some JDM cars don't have rust proofing and when brought to the UK they only last a few years before succumbing to tin worm.

Any slight accident damage will often rot away within a few years in countries where road salt it used too.

[​IMG]

Be happy you have such a lovely climate :)

15. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Not the best resolution, but I attached a picture of how the undercarriage looked last year in July -- I worked an internship at a company that makes a vehicle imaging system. The rusted hitch was taken out, sandblasted and repainted and put back in a few weeks ago.

I'll look for a place that can inspect the suspension sometime this week and go from there. Any particular reason you say to avoid the dealer (besides markup)? I don't mind spending the money to fix this given the safety issue, but at this point in time a new car just isn't something that's in the budget with a grad student salary. For anyone else that missed it, the car lives in the northeastern US, (MA/NH) so yes, they do salt roads a lot here during the winter.

Attached Files:

#15 luiset83, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  16. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yes, salt is needed at times. but in this area, because of all the idiot pansies that work for and because of the federal govt., they use about 10x as much as is needed.
    1/2" of wet snow which will melt on its own in a few hours? lets run 3 salt trucks down each road and plow the top layer of asphalt up! and most of those idiot pansies seem to have suvs-- the over-paid ones have bmw x-drives or MB 4matics. but if they see a snow flake = its time to drive 5mph on main roads.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks pretty bad to me. My point is don't spend to much money to fix this issue hence my dealer avoidance (Markup as you immediately guessed) suggestion.

Btw its very simple to mitigate that rust. Just spray some spray lube periodically on all the suspension components. They make a spray specifically for this application. The suspension will last much longer and no squeaks and rattles.

If and when you get that inspection have them look specifically at the lower ball joints. Failure of those on the road at speed are usually very very painful. I would imagine yours are original.

18. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks for the temporary advice. Something like this?

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  20. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That wasn't an ad, haha, the forum just makes it look like it was. Fluid film. ^^ I also got a suggestion for Zero-Rust -- which looks more like a rustoleum-type paint. I'll probably have it looked like earlier in the week and report back...