1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Camera fitted to Non-Nav Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sleeka, Dec 12, 2005.

1. sleeka

sleeka Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has anyone fitted (or have any information to fit) a rear-view camera to a Prius without factory navigation?
    There was a great post on fitting to a nav-equipped Prius, but what about those without factory nav? Can it be done?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The MFD has the RGBS pins on one of its plugs. The problem is getting the non-nav MFD to use them. The trick is sending the right command through AVC. This can be done using the rear-camera module that will turn on the input when you go into reverse (or fake out the reverse sense lead).

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Costal Tech either has, or is promising, a mod to allow for two video interfaces for the '04/'05 Prius. They have a reputation for being very slow to get promised mods actually ready for delivery, but also for good quality once the mods are available. Also, separately, they either have or are promising a rear-view camera for use with the above.

Their description says the mod does not require the car to have NAV.

I have no actual knowledge of either of the above items. I do have their EV kit installed and am very happy with it.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I would consider Coastal's solution to be non-existent, and probably never will. Pretend you never saw it on his site.

The rear view camera is shown as a potential AVC device, with its own ID, so anything that sends and receives the right messages as the Toyota camera module does would enable input from the RGBS of the MFD, even without NAV. Just that without such a device, NAV would be the only means to enable the RGBS input.
    I believe the MFD would enable it for a DVD player, if the proper protocol were known. This is where our friends in Japan may be of help.

5. _echo

_echo Junior Member

The Can-View v2 device will allow this, you will need an NTSC-RGBS converter box. Alternatively, find a camera that has RGBS output/traces, and hack it. I have an old camera that has raw RGB outputs hidden behind an RGB encoder chip, so I know they're out there..

Efiler (creator of the Can View) is a total genius, he's done all of the hard electronics stuff, now all you need is a camera, and a boatload of wire...

I kind of 'accidentally' enabled this feature when goofing with the video input on my can view v2. Pac man came up when I shifted into reverse. :)

Does anyone know if there is the requisite wiring harness present next to the license plate holder, or if we have to run wire all the way over to that snap in plate?

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you'll have to run the wires your self as the car never came with the wiring pre installed.

7. big apple

big apple New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hi ,i would like to ask if you have car DVD or car view monitor or not.
    for car rear camera need to show the video and audio on DVD or monitor,
    if there is monitor it will show ,no matter the monitor with navi or not.