1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear window rain guard for Prius Super RV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robert Holt, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Having cross-ventilation when camping in the Prius is important, but on our last trip we noticed a problem with the inward-slanting windows in the rain as the rain tends to come inside. That is undesirable in general and especially for the right-rear window, the rain could GO DIRECTLY INTO THE HV BATTERY COOLING AIR INTAKE ! Since that could damage the HV battery, rain infiltration at the right rear MUST be prevented. So from 6-inch wide aluminum flashing I constructed the rain guard below, which inserts into the upper portion of the window's rubber channel and will shield the interior from rain even if the window is left partly open for ventilation (with the screens on , of course):
    image.jpg
    Cheers!

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any attachment suggested besides the appropriate bends of the flashing?

Have you already posted the howto window-screen?

Attach the screen to the rainguard(s)? Do you also protect the front windows?

Any other super RVing tricks up your sleeves? :))

-- nice idea and I like the tent too --

#2 vvillovv, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was going to use plastic spring clamps on the window frame just under the front and rear to vertically support them. (They seem to fit in the channel well enough that horizontal or lateral movement should not be a problem.) will be testing these shortly. I have made rain guards for the two rear windows and one front from a 6-inch by 10 feet strip of aluminum, but need to buy more to make the last window guard.

Did post screen construction how-to last fall -- basically fold no-see-um netting over each window to make a big pocket and then sew the edges. The screen pockets slide down over the rain guard and are held to the door at the bottom by magnets. The screens worked well on the trip to Alaska.

Basic idea is to PACK SMALL as space in the Prius is limited--use backpacking or bicycle camping gear. The stove, cups, bowls and water boiler fit like nested dolls:
    image.jpg image.jpg

DW and I found that unzipping a sleeping bag and using it like a down comforter over both of us was a more comfortable way for the two of us to sleep in the back of the Prius.

For sleeping, the bottom layer is a 4x7 foot section of indoor-outdoor carpeting cut to fit the rear when the seats are folded flat and the 3 backseat headrests removed. A headrest board about 18x48 inches should be laid across the rear seat foot wells and supported level with the folded down seats by plastic milk crates or small luggage sitting in the footwells. On top of the carpet we use 1/2 inch foam yoga mats plus 1-inch air mattresses . Result is very firm but sleepable--thicker air mattresses could give a softer sleeping surface. YMMV.

We bought organizers from Aldi that slip over the front head rests but hang down the BACK of the front seats. Those were meant for kids sitting in back, but they have many little pockets that we use while camping--pocket knife, bear spray, flashlight, sunscreen ,etc. , and it helps keeping clutter off the floor.

Found small aluminum folding table at REI that slides into the black plastic tub above the spare.

Keep wheel chocks and emergency equipment down with spare under tub--I think jack and Jack handle should be improved but have not had time to do that yet.

Jeez, long-winded answer, but let me know if you have specific questions or want to see any if these mods.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a few different issues to contend with in the back of my PiP but nothing insurmountable and most of your mods should also work rather well with my priRV too :)
    I'm most interested in the over the hatch tent.
    I want to fit a curt hitch before the weather gets much colder and rent a ultra small uhaul to test it with.
    I'll probably use the hitch mostly as a bike rack, I currently have one of my bikes almost permanently installed in the back
    and it makes it a bit cramped to try to sleep back there with it, but I have already :(
    So far I've added the eco rug mod - mod posted by "Eddy Haskel" :) My DIY $17 Prius cargo liner made from recycled plastic bottles... | Page 2 | PriusChat - as well as list of things I'd like to also add. I've also posted about the jack Dreaded flat tire and I dont like it a bit :( | Page 11 | PriusChat
    It wasn't much fun using the jack even with plenty of room to spin the handle when it was extended straight in the driveway, but when I was jammed against a curb I gave up after 15 minutes trying to crank that thing, walked home 3 miles and got my 2 ton shop jack.
    Swapping the 2 tires out then took about 10 minutes.

5. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^^^right, I also used the Lowes ECO rug option that Haskel first proposed, although I left it about 7 feet long so that it will extend completely forward over the folded down seats and the 18-inch wide piece of plywood that acts as a headboard in the RV mode.
    Had not seen that PIP flat tire thread you referenced as I have a hatchback, but I read that some of the problems with jack are the same. My time to jack up car from flat was 10-15 minutes according to DW, but it was on gravel and very tricky.

I have found a full-sized spare will fit in the lower well in the hatchback, but then the plastic tub sticks up about 2 inches too high in the rear--still working on a solution for that as would prefer full-size spare.
    Thanks for links.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe I am missing the obvious, but why not just keep the vehicle READY and use the built in HVAC? No rain, no snow, no bugs, constant temperature, sound insulation, it seems like an easy choice to me. I've "camped" in the Prius a few times like that for an overnight session as have many others.

7. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the rear hatch is closed, keeping the vehicle in the ready state will work, but at the expense of depleting the HV battery and wasting energy, which some of us oppose on moral grounds. I found that experience of sleeping in the back with the hatch shut was quite different from having the hatch open and windows down with the window screens deployed--much more cluastrophobic.
    If the rear hatch is open as when the tent is attached in RV mode, then the HVAC may simply not handle the open-air situation well, depending on ambient temps, wind, and so forth. The open rear hatch allows easy ingress and egress and a comfortable attached living room/dining room for dressing, mealtimes, and cozy evenings reading or working on our iPads, etc. IMO it depends on the camping experience one is seeking whilst using a Prius.

vvillovv likes this.