1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview Mirror Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rebound, May 10, 2014.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My car is a 2012 Prius Plug-in Basic. Nothing fancy about the rearview mirror. I removed my jacket in the car, bumped the rearview mirror, and it fell off. I had the windshield replaced a few years ago, so I reckon that the person who glued the mirror on didn't do a good job of it.

I went to an parts store and purchased a repair kit, which is some kind of epoxy. Simple enough. However, I assume that I need to somehow disassemble my mirror, so that I only affix a lightweight piece to the glass until it fully cures, and then I attach the rest of the mirror.

Can someone tell me how to disassemble and reassemble the mirror attachment point? Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, never mind. I figured it out. It's pretty simple, really. You can easily pry the plastic covering from around the attachment point, and then you can slide the metal slug out and attach just the metal slug to the glass.

Sorry, never mind. I figured it out. It's pretty simple, really. You can easily pry the plastic covering from around the attachment point, and then you can slide the metal slug out and attach just the metal slug to the glass.
    Here's the assembled mirror:
    [​IMG]
    Now I've removed the cowl from around the attachment point.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Now I pressed on the tab, and the metal slug slides out. Obviously, it is very critical to orient this correctly when you glue it onto your windshield. I'm pretty scared of getting that part wrong.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To insure the correct orientation of the mirror, take a yellow grease pencil and mark the outside of the windshield at the witness make left by the old glue on the inside. Then you can razor blade the old glue off of the inside. Before you apply the mounting slug to the windshield, make sure you clean the area with some acetone or denatured alcohol. Position the mounting slug where you marked the outside and tape it in place. Allow it to dry set over night. Then install the mirror.

Rebound likes this.
  3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The auto glass installers in my area will re-glue no charge.
    I just stop in and they are happy to do the job. :)

Rebound likes this.
  4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, but it was pretty easy to do myself without taking the time to find the glass guy and wait around for him. Anyway... too late, the glue's hopefully drying now.

retired4999 likes this.
  5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    UPDATE: I dutifully followed all directions, cleaned all surfaces, taped the metal slug into place, gave it hours to cure.

I put the mirror on, and ten minutes later, it fell off.

So I'll go find a glass shop after all...

The Critic and retired4999 like this.