1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebuilt HV battery still showing P3006. Suggestions, PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by fictitious.hero, Dec 7, 2013.

1. fictitious.hero

fictitious.hero New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So I have taken apart my HV battery sooooo many times over the past year I can't even remember the actual number. Ive replaced bus bars. I have used NO-OX IDA to grease the bus bars as to stop any corrosion. All the cells lie between 7.96-8.18 for nominal resting voltage. However the MIL and check engine light keep coming on. It only reads code P3006. I am totally out of ideas.

The car is only worth $2000 with a functioning battery due to rear damage on the bumper. I refuse to pay the dealership $3000 or to put in a rebuilt battery when I have spent so much time and money to fix it myself. I just don't know what else I can do. What am I missing?

Is it the slight corrosion on the bus bars? If so how do these HV batteries go 10 years with corrosion on the bus bars? Should I get rid of all the cells under 8.00 resting voltage? Do I replace the main HV bus bar again for the 3rd time? Should I replace the HV ECU?

At present I get only 34 MPG when I bought the car 2 years ago I got minimum of 40 MPG. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm sick and tired of pulling my hair out and losing sleep on trying to figure this one out.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My first suggestion is that you need to carefully examine the battery voltage sense wires and the copper bus bars as one or more may be broken. I suggest you use an ohmmeter to verify continuity from the copper bus bar that a given wire is connected to, to the wiring harness connector that plugs into the traction battery ECU.

My second suggestion is that is not sufficient to measure no- load module voltage. It is possible that one or more modules has a voltage sag under load. Hence you need to devise a suitable load for the battery that will allow you to measure module voltage under load.

For example, you could use 120VAC household bulbs to create a load. Since you have a Classic, your battery has 38 modules. 38 modules x 8V each = 304V. You'll need sockets and wire so that you can wire three bulbs in series.

If you can buy 250W, 120VAC bulbs and use three in series, that will constitute a load of around 600W at 300V.

Then you'll need to hook up the load to the battery, bypassing the system main relays. Obviously you need to take care not to damage the battery or kill yourself in the process. Once the load is connected, you can measure module voltage and see what results.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I concur with Patrick but notice you didn't mention reading the 19 module-pair voltages. A Prius aware scanner can do that and perhaps provide the missing insight.

Bob Wilson

4. fictitious.hero

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @ Patrick: The sense wires are not broken but they are corroded. I let them rinse in vinegar and salt to clean them off. I have gone through 3 bus bars @ 160 a piece because certain cells seem to still leak even though the NO-OX IDA is on the bars and cells and nuts. Next as far as setting up lights bulbs…not to be rude but I have no idea what or how you mean. I get the gist of light bulbs in series but thats about it.

@ bob wilson: I didn't mention the pairs because each module ranges between 7.96 - 8.16 so there is only a .2 difference in voltage. No module is wildly out of voltage. I replaced all the bad cells. As far as the prius aware scanner. I will go that route next then. Is there a certain one I should get? Im gonna buy it off ebay.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The high-level P codes can be read by any off the shelf scanner. But this codes comes from Prius-specific control computers. A Prius-aware scanner (use the search function) will show you what the Prius control computers are seeing. This is different from your VOM metrics of the modules.

Over the years, we have seen two types of 'sense wire' problems reported here:
    • bad connector at the control electronics side
    • corroded sense wire inside the insulation
    By seeing what the battery controller detects, you can quickly focus on the fault area.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

ps. I bought my my first miniVCI on Ebay only to discover the firmware was out of date. Eventually I located the Xhorse reseller and their version has 2.0.4, the latest known version. Both versions work with the NHW11 but the more recent one also works with the ZVW30.

6. fictitious.hero

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @ bob wilson Ok I'm looking for a prius aware scanner on Ebay. Im sure Il find one. But as far as corrosion on the sense wires. Even with the NO-OX-IDA on the bus bars, sense wires, and modules themselves I can't get the corrosion to stop on the GEN 1 modules. Thats why I have gone through 3 bus bars. Any suggestions besides switching them all out to Gen 2 modules?

7. fictitious.hero

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh by the way after letting the car sit over night I rechecked voltages in the AM to find that one module had dropped to 7.75 while all the others were 7.8-8.00 so Im going to replace that module. Ill keep the forums update once I have more info. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to stop the corrosion you must install new(er) battery modules. There is no way to effectively fix a leaking module because the modules create pressure within as they heat up, while the battery is in operation.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Although under new management, ReInvolt had developed nickle plated buss bars and senses wires. I don't know if this can be commonly done but it would provide protection currently missing.

The KOH electrolyte "eats" copper, as you've discovered. So the permanent fix:
    • plate them with KOH metal, nickle
    • replace modules with ones that don't leak (aka., new and unabused)
    GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

10. fictitious.hero

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    For 38 cells to be replaced with GEN 2 is more money than I wanted to spend. The car has a broken back bumper. I was just trying to get it working again to keep it running till it dies or has an expense to great too fix. Its a shame that even if I get another bus bar and replace the bad module time is against me before the battery breaks again due to corrosion. Argh.

11. Paul Baillie

Paul Baillie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There was a Toyota service bulletin issued due to the Gen 1 main battery modules leaking, Toyota will remove the main battery and apply a sealant/anticorrosive goop to rectify the leaking module problem and should be able to tell you if it was done to your VIN. I'm told the problem was resolved with the Gen 2 modules