1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle + exclaimation mark: car won't go into gear

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by [email protected], Feb 28, 2010.

1. cronin.brendan@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I own a 2002 Prius. Periodically over the last month, the red triangle with the exclaimation mark has been coming on ("Stop driving and take car to a Toyota dealer immediately") and the car going out of gear. Normally I can get it back in gear, but twice I have had to wait about 30 minutes before I can do so. I've taken it to the garage, but they said they cannot identify a problem (the fault light, just resets when they hook up the diagnostics)

I think it is related to the gear lever ... sometimes I have been lazy and don't push the button fully down on the gear level when I am changing gear. I think this may have something to do with my current problems.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this ?

Brendan

2. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately you have a Generation 1, so you might post in that forum. Good luck.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you check the 12V battery condition? Just one of many possible root of the problem.

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder if it is possibly an issue with the engine/trans mounts? For example, if the whole assembly is allowed to move too much, perhaps it could cause that?