1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle plus check engine error lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wwu123, Mar 12, 2006.

1. wwu123

wwu123 Junior Member

I have a classic '02 with about 69,000 miles, and for the first time I got the red triangle (!) + check engine + PS/Battery/Problem error lights and screens today when I started the car. I drove it for a few miles around the neighborhood to see if it would go away. It didn't, but the car seems drive fine, and the Energy screen shows a charged battery and seemingly normal arrows going to and from the battery.

Coincidentally my wife usually doesn't drive the car, but she moved the car in and out of the driveway, maybe about 50 feet back and forth, earlier today. She said she didn't see anything wrong, but when I pressed, she says she also saw some error messages on the MFD like I described, and before she shut down she thinks there was a warning about temperatures being less than "41 degrees".

Now it was one of the frostiest nights this winter for the San Francisco area last night, though probably not colder than right around freezing, and I did have the car outside instead of in the carport. However it must have been over 50 degrees by the time she and I started the car. Could cold weather (relatively speaking for SF) possibly have caused an error code?

We also have a fairly sloped driveway, so it was sitting out last night on a 30 degree slope. Could that plus the cold weather caused some temporary error, for example the car tilting causing battery fluid or oil level being too low in a cold state?

I've read up on past posts and it seems these errors come on and in many cases go away for any number of unknown reasons. So is it correct that if the problem is not persisting, that the errors will reset themselves after a couple of restarts? And if I take it to a dealer and show them the light, it's their obligation and cost to check it under warranty (we have the 7 yr/ 100,000 mile Toyota extended warranty)?

Thanks for any advice. I'm using our other car until I determine whether I should try to keep driving it, or to take it to the dealer right away.

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

How is your 12V battery? Still have the original?

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if you have the extended warranty I'd take it to the dealer and get them to check it out and find out what's wrong. You payed up front for this service.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like a no loose situation for you ( and us!) take it to the dealer and have them tell you the DTC and post them here you will get more follow up than you want! The dealer and the rest! Win Win!

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks for the detailed observations, wwu123, they may turn out to be significant. But for the moment the most likely explanation is the most common one.

It's a good question whether you can get your Toyota shop to scan error codes for free. The extended warranty might help. But paid for or not, they will probably find a P3191 code. Perhaps a couple of others as well. If so, they will diagnose the car under technical service bulletin EG011-03. At a minimum, they will replace the engine control module (ECM) with a later revision that contains improved programming. This is under warranty (for everyone) until 80k miles.

If the diagnosis leads them further, it will be to the fuel pump relay and/or the fuel tank assembly entire. Those are under 36k mile warranty, so should either need to be replaced, your extended warranty will come in handy.

Assuming the above is correct, there is no reason not to drive the car, unless it simply doesn't start. On the other hand I would take the earliest convenient service appointment.

Suggest you ask them if there is an ECM in stock, with a part number ending in "54" or higher. That will convince them you are a Prius driver not to be trifled with. If you restart the car about 3 times the bad lights will go away, but it should not interfere with diagnosis.

It may appear that I have given this explanation before. True enough. You are probably about to join many of us on "the other side" of EG011-03. Mine was done about 45k miles ago, and no troubles since. (2001 Prius)

Of course if I am wrong we can consider your other observations. Parked on an extreme slope, hmmm. If that was one side low, then we might be on the trail of something...

Naturally I hope to hear the outcome, even if it argues against clarvoyance.

6. wwu123

wwu123 Junior Member

Thanks so much for the suggestions, especially the detailed ones from tochatihu, and apologies for not making it back to the board all week to give an update. The people on this board are great, and I'll add my follow up here in case it may be at least trivially useful for others down the road.

As tochatihu mentioned, after you restart about three or more times, the warnings may go away. So that day I'd restarted it twice and panicked when the warnings were still there, even though the car seemed like everything was running normal, but probably should've tried a few more times. The next day I started it again and the red triangle went away, and so I tried restarting it again immediately and then the check engine light was gone. It's been running fine since then. I suspect my wife may have just mis-started the car in some innocuous way that led to the error condition in the first place.

Since I'm due for an oil change soon, I'll take the advice of all of you and have them check out the error codes that may still be in there - as you all have mentioned, the extended warranty is paid for. And I'll be sure to throw out that magical "54" when I do! (But isn't "42" the answer to life, the universe, and everything?)

(To one question, I believe the battery is original with the SSC-40G campaign performed by the previous owner.)

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Teling them the TSB number EG011-03 is the more magical. It has come up often enough that I don't look through the folder any more.

Yes 42 is the anwer to Life's question but Prius needed another dozen

KTPhil's question was about the 12 volt battery (there's yer dozen). The SSC 40G was about putting bathtub caulk in the high voltage battery.

I replaced my 12 volt battery today, and then had a flat tire. Hrmph! Some miracle car!

Just kidding. I still like it.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

normally things happen it three's, so hang on theres one more in the wings :rolleyes: