1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reduction in fuel economy, to reduce gas consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 6, 2014.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know the title is tricky and counter intuitive to understand. That is the reason why I think we should discuss it and the PiP forum is probably the best place for such discussion.

This does not apply for the regular hybrids since they only use gasoline. Therefore, if you increase fuel economy (MPG), you'll reduce gas consumption.

With that out of the way, the discussion for plugin hybrids like the PiP, Energi, Volt, etc. For such vehicle that use two fuels, reduction in gas consumption does not necessarily mean improvement in fuel economy.

The best example to see, is probably C-Max Energi. A regular C-Max is rated 40 MPG (combined). The plugin Energi model is rated 38 MPG on gas but you get 19 EV miles. That EV miles can be used to reduce gas consumption, obviously by using electricity instead.

Since electricity is considered an alternative fuel, it also need it's own economy to measure. 33.7 kWh of electricity is considered equivalent to a gallon of gas (in term of energy to operate vehicle). Never mind, how they are generated/refined upstream as it is another discussion.

You can reduce your gas consumption by displacing it with electricity. Many people prefer electricity since it can be generated from renewable sources like solar. The justification is that, you reduce gas consumption by using solar electricity, for a win-win situation.

However, gas economy takes a hit (38 MPG vs. 40). EV operation economy also take a hit from lugging around the gas powertrain. Volt is probably a better example to understand reduction in fuel economy, in order to reduce gas consumption.

Therefore, there need to be a balance where each powertrain from separate power sources does not weight each other down. Instead, they need to bring each other up (synergy).

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On the normal hybrids, I see folks plotting longer routes to get higher MPGs by avoiding some obstacle. Many of these folks are using more gas, than if they took the shorter route and 'suffered' lower MPGs. High MPGs is not my goal, less gasoline consumption is my goal.

This trap can effect the PHV as well, "to avoid turning the engine on, I will drive this 3 mile longer route" may result in greater energy use even if it makes a prettier graph.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My PIP's electric miles actually cost me more than using gas, due to our high energy rates in Westchester NY and lack of smart-grid metering. And this is true even considering that I have solar PV, since my PV doesn't fully cover my home usage, though it exceeds my PIP demands - that is, if I didn't charge my PIP, my solar would offset more fully the expensive power my home uses. I do get my utility power from renewable sources, but I hope ConEd "smartens" our grid up and I can get cheaper kWh at night.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking plug in hybrid that decides for itself when to use each mode or blended, instead of giving operator the choice. more like regular hybrid.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're currently filling up about once a month, this is a regular, non plug-in Prius. And typically there's at least a 1/4 tank left, putting in between 25 and 30 liters (~7 US gallons) per fill up. A fair bit of the use is short trips, so mpg suffers a bit. But we're ultimately using less gas. ;)

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent points!
    Although, the quest for mpg (or MPGe) sometimes even further increases efficiency.

Three examples...

When I drove my Prius, and later my small EV, I would often take a slower, city street route which was shorter.
    The efficiency of both vehicles was higher on that route and the distance was shorter. So efficiency went up and fuel use went down.

I used to drive longer distances to avoid rush hour traffic jams. With the Prius they weren't so bad, and with my EV they are not bad at all. As a result I no longer drive greater distances to avoid heavy traffic.

7. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my experience, this is basically how the PIP operates in HV mode when there's an EV charge. Of course nobody wants to stay in HV all the time, because it makes your HV/EV ratio screen look pretty sad, and since your ICE will tend to run more during times when it's really needed (going uphill) your HV MPG will look bad.

Regardless, it is my belief that (especially for trips where you know you'll consume all of your EV charge) this is the way to go. If you look at total gas/power consumed for distance traveled, this is how I've gotten the best results. It's probably an example of how the information given by the car can lead to behaviors that aren't truly the most efficient. (not getting the whole picture from the displays)

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, using less gas but are you increasing or decreasing fuel economy. If so, which fuel(s), perhaps both? That is the meat of this thread. ;)

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A great point.

With my PiP, I choose the shortest route if I have EV miles. If I'll be using gas, I choose the fastest route.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct me if i'm wrong, but when i charge up, put it in hv and go, it uses 3 or 4 miles, then preserves the balance of 11 or 12 ev miles on the estimate.

11. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm really confused about what the OP is asking/saying.
    I drive using hypeermiling techniques. I charge whenever I can and choose routes for economy. My electric miles use $4.75/gal fuel ($0.12/KWH), my gas miles use $3.5 fuel. My MPGE on electricity is about 100. My MPG on gas is about 60. My cost/ mile on electricity is about 22% less than gas. my average speed on electricity is significantly lower than on gas, I suspect if I traveled the same speed the costs would be even closer.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting thought and definitely one to bring up as it's easy to fall into the efficiency game when we also want to think about consumption too.

It's worth bringing up the potential for future vehicles to include a consumption (how many gallons of fuel used and how many kWh of electricity) readout in addition to efficiency (mpg and Wh/mile)

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Certainly this could be the case. However, at least for the PiP, preventing a cold engine from coming on for a brief time may be the most efficient use of all "fuels" involved even if the vehicle is driven for a slightly longer route. In such a case, staying in EV might avoid a startup penalty where ICE mpg would be poor. Also, avoiding once or twice daily quick on/off cycles of the ICE is probably better for the life of the engine.

For example, consider a route in a PiP on a cold day where taking the freeway during a segment yields the shortest trip for a commuter. But doing so requires the ICE to fire up for a mile or two because of the high speeds. Perhaps an alternate route takes 3 miles longer but involves low speed side streets that do not require the ICE to come on. The latter route may be the most efficient use of fuels and use the least total energy. In such a case, there would be no ICE warmup penalty and EV efficiency would be better given speeds closer to the 15-20 mph EV efficiency sweet spot.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's assume that your previous car was a regular Prius.

You replacing it with a PiP, does not reduce fuel economy (of neither fuel). You are getting 60 MPG on gas, probably higher than your previous Prius (gen2?). And, you gain EV miles. In this scenario, you are increasing fuel economy while reducing gas consumption.

Take another scenario, you decided to replace it with a Volt. Your gas economy would take a hit. You will gain much more EV miles but electricity economy would suffer as well since it is one of the worse (98 MPGe). Electric efficiency in bigger plugins (PiP, Leaf, etc) is better. As a result, the overall (composite of gas and electric) MPGe would be lower.

100 MPGe on electricity is very low for PiP. When I lived in NY where urban traffic has stop or red lights every block, I averaged 132 MPGe. Now, I am averaging close to 140 MPGe.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The gas engine needs to run once in a while for maintenance. There is no better day than a cold one to do it, as the waste heat is used to warm up the cabin.

When considering EV efficiency, it is also important to take account of how electricity is generated. There is another fuel used to generate it and that efficiency from production together with efficiency from vehicle operation makes up the total picture.

In view, 50 MPG on gas is as good as 100 MPGe on electricity.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is way too complicated to try and make a decision. i think 'just drive it' fits the bill here.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Me too. While it's fun to fiddle around to get the best numbers sometimes, but it stops being fun when you have to make yourself jump through too many hoops.

I suppose a 500 cc engine would still get me around and save a ton of fuel, but I bought my Prius as the best compromise of all the features I wanted.

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Like not plugging in to save on battery life? ;)

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, but that wouldn't even work. The battery would go dead on it's own, thus shortening it's life.

I could shut my power off in the house at night and use thicker blankets. :unsure:

20. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in