1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regular car (starting) battery - replacement timing recommendation?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by prominence, Oct 5, 2014.

1. prominence

prominence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey friends,

Hoping I can garner some advice on when I should replace the regular engine car battery in my 2011 prius (the one that starts the car).

I've had my 2011 prius since Fall 2011 and have 50k miles on the car. I live in Ohio so winters can dip in the 0-30 degree range.

Is there a notification that pops up saying the battery is getting low? Or is there a general rule of thumb to replace every X amount of years or miles?

Getting Michelin Energy Saver A/S put on the car this week at the dealer; wondering if I should also go ahead and replace the battery.

Thanks!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, no need to replace it yet, if it isn't giving you any trouble. there is no notification, but one thing to think about is draining the battery. if you ever do this by leaving a light on or a door open, it can drastically reduce the life of the battery. also, if you run mostly short trips or drive it infrequently, that's another problem. otherwise, if you want to be proactive, change it after around 4-5 years.

3. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your battery is healthy now, Fall 2015 would be four years for your battery and about the right time to replace it to avoid the inconvenience of getting stranded because of a weak battery. My OEM battery failed at 4 years and 5 months.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can get an idea of the 12 volt battery's health by hooking up a digital multimeter. If it's 12.6 volt or higher it's in good shape. Lower than 12.4 and you need to keep an eye on it, either use a smart charger (4 amp range, higher not recommended) or get it replaced.

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is after the car sitting overnight, not while its on or right after.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a ScanGauge II that monitors the voltage continuously.

Given the numerous users who have had problems with the Optima batteries, I was considering only OE replacement batteries from my Toyota dealer.

However, I will now probably get this one from Batteries +p;us, since it has a FULL four year replacement warranty.

SLI51PAGM Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Battery
    - 2010 to 2014 L4 1.8L 325CCA Hybrid - Prius - Toyota - Car and Truck - Batteries Plus

Even nicer is that there is a Batteries Plus store less than a quarter mile down the road from me.

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting find. No mention of the AH rating. Being a Prius specific battery I'd assume that a vent port is included.

8. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just replaced mine this weekend after 5 years. It was reading 11.2 volts on the diagnostic menu after sitting overnight and would drop to 10.9 with the headlights on. With the inverter charging it, it read at 14.0. After a twenty minute drive and a couple hours sitting, it read 11.6 with a voltmeter. Decided to just go to the dealer for the replacement - they're not all evil.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, just most of them.;) if you have a good one, you're fortunate.

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You should replace it when it fails. :)

The 12 V battery in our hybrids does NOT actually start the car in the c0nventional sense; it just powers up the computers and the actual starting power comes from the HVB.

As it gets weak, all sorts of strange things might begin to happen, electronically, even though the car still starts and runs.

Most folks seem to get 4-5 years out of their OEM battery......but some much less due to abuse at the dealer or very light use by the owner.

11. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    4 years is being very safe. Mine failed at about 5 years, and I was left stranded n a parking lot when it happened. I wish we got more life out of our 12volt batteries. I got 7 years out of a stock impala, and got 9 years out of a dodge battery.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    uh-oh, my dodge is an '05.(n)

13. prominence

prominence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! (o: I'll hold off on replacing it until next Fall.

14. Janstheman

Janstheman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Gen 2 Prius made it 9 years 11 months on its original 12 volt. battery. I got an OE at Toyota, why not? If it makes it five years I got my money's worth.

15. jds580s

jds580s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I purchased the Duracell SLI51PAGM yesterday and wanted to answer these two questions.
    The rating on the top of the battery is 46Ah
    And it does have a vent port.

My original 12v battery on my 2007 Prius gave out.
    When I tested it the voltages were
    9.8v ACC mode
    9.5v On
    14.0v in "ready" mode

With those low voltages I am surprised it was working at all. I won't complain since the car got 7 and a half years out of the original Toyota battery.

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after 7 1/2 years, what made you decide against another one?