1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

remote engine starter - is it needed?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by syscon, Jan 15, 2012.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are those OEM Toyota Remote engine starter worth the price ?
    I'm in Alberta so the temp in winter sometimes goes below -30C to -40C (-22F to -40F).
    Reading on some other forums it seems to me the Prius has some problem with remote starter at -22F and below.

From Yahoo FAQ:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070918124152AAawITZ
    Is it correct?
    I would assume this is still the case for 2012.
    It is hard to believe that anything would stay hot at -40C/F for three days.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, the thermos container was Gen II. The Gen III has a exhaust heat recovery system which uses exhaust gas to quickly help warm up. If you use auto it won't start pushing air right away until it's a bit warm.

As for if you need one, that is so up to you. It's far from necessary but living in Canada, if it is that cold and you want to get in warm then it sure would help with that, although use more fuel of course.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 person likes this.
  4. Cactus Hybrid

Cactus Hybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I was looking into getting an after market remote starter, until I discovered that you have to give up one of your key fobs for the after market installation.....

5. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is really a preference issue and more about your morning routine. I have the Toyota Remote Start installed in my 2011 Four, and it works pretty well. On cold icy mornings probably below 38F, I start the vehicle about 3 or 4 minutes before I come out of the house. It turns on the rear defroster automatically, and I think it will turn on the front defroster also, but you can preset/turn these on the night before. Cost was $500. I usually don't have to scrape the windows and car is just starting to get warm. Also the Seats are warm since I always leave the seat heaters on in the Winter. So my morning routine is not slowed down in any way. The only thing lame about the Remote Start is as soon as any door is unlocked the car shuts down. I think car should stay running until you press on the brake, like my last car (GM Product). But I guess that's how Toyota prevents Car Theft.

6. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My remote started was installed at the port by the time my dealer found it for me. We were talking $500 above invoice at the time, so it was easier to keep the option at invoice price than to have it removed as they offered.

I have used it 6 times (in less than 2 months, in real life when I want to start heating up the cabin for my passenger(s) a little early. You have to put a little forethought into using the remote starter. You have to turn on the front and rear windshield heaters that you might need later with the remote start. Also, before you turn your Prius v off, it is best to put the vehicle in Normal mode (no eco or power indicators on right side) to prioritize heating systems more than Eco mode does. I read somebody that uses Power mode when planning for a remote start and that could certainly effect cabin heating time and MPGs.

I knew that I would only use it occasionally, but it is nice when the weather is nasty and the price was right ($320).

Now for the deal breaker for some; When you touch the door handle to get in your pre heated Prius v, the car turns itself off. This safety "feature" is frustrating enough to make some people insist on aftermarket remote starters that keep the car in ready mode when you get in and want to go.

Other short comings are:
    No confirmation that vehicle started.
    Lengthy procedure to activate; Press lock twice fast then press lock again and hold it for a slow 3 count (just give me a button).

Other issues:
    For safety it will shut off after 10 min (that's smart in my book).
    Some say the range is shorter than they would like, but i have not tested it's range in my normal use.

I am glad I have it, but then I'm a self proclaimed gadget lover.

DogDaze likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe it's my CleanMPG mindset, but I've got several issues with a car sitting unattended and running:

1. It's a total waste of gas.

2. It's an increased source of polution, vs just starting it up and going: the car's just sitting in a spreading pool of carbon monoxide and unburnt fuel.

3. There's a possible safety issue.

4. It's a total waste of gas (did I already say that?).

I believe it's actually illegal, though the law is rarely enforced and often flaunted, in some municipalities.

I'd prescribe a block heater.

8. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everyone else say what you will about the environmental impact of a remote starter, but if I lived in Alberta I'd sure have one.

9. deltanh

deltanh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not all aftermarket remotes require this. I had an Avital remote installed in November and did not have to give up a fob. It's nothing fancy, press the button twice, in 5 minutes the ice just falls off the windshield with little effort from the ice scrapper. If you want I'll try and dig up the invoice for the part numbers of the module used.

10. mattheikkila

mattheikkila New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Word...I wouldn't have hesitated to get one.

11. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

This is not true! My friend just installed a remote start on our new 2011 Prius using only a idatalink module. This module that retails for $1XX and at cost through my friends company was $55 will start the car using the factory remote control. All you have to do is press the lock button 3 times and that initiates the remote start sequence. The remote start does shut down once you open the drivers door and you can't put it in remote start sequence if you are getting out of the car. However, even on our corolla we didn't use that feature very often.

1 person likes this.
  12. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Anyone one know if you're able to increase the run time with the remote start? I know Chevy has that option as my buddy asked the dealer to increase it for him. I really love this like item!

13. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was going to get it but I found the electric seat heaters warm me up quickly. Rarely is there frost where I live.

14. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This little bad boy has been keeping the car warm and the windows clear of snow. It's the summer time when the ac sometimes takes awhile to cool the interior. Just be nice to get it to 15 mins.