1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Renewable (Electricity) Portfolio Standards by States

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, Apr 27, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the news this week are the Renewable (Electricity) Portfolio Standards by which 29 states have committed to install substantial amounts of additional green energy for electricity generation in the next decade. Here is a good USA map showing the current plans:

http://www.dsireusa.org/documents/summarymaps/RPS_map.pdf

I am glad VA has not committed to mandated targets. I hope I'm around long enough to see how this story ends, but my guess is some of the states will not meet their targets and the targets will be relaxed. It was in the news this week because the Koch brothers are reportedly trying to lobby some states to relax their commitments. The problem as I see it is some states committing to green energy rhetorically and legislatively, but no "concrete" action plans on how the heck they will actually be able to do it.

Anyone know how NY is going to make 29% by 2015?
    How is your state doing on meeting the targets?

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Our state, MN, has reached previous targets and is on track to hit new ones just passed.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks...I like to hear what states are doing.

Here is VA summary:
    • On shore wind - VA apparently has no wind! so we have to buy from WV, PA
    • VA doing some biomass burning w/ coal ("hybrid coal plants")
    • Solar - VA moving too slow...we could do more homeowner solar
    • Off shore wind - in ocean - possible future
    • I think VA has 15% RPS target (voluntary target option - not mandated)
    I'd like to see more solar and trash to steam. I'd also like to see more solar hot water everywhere.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Targets are like the Bush era 'no child left behind' idiocy. Set the target low enough and everyone is a winner.
    California has reached some 29% renewable already, although I do not think that figure takes imports into account. I think the most interesting figure in the CA stats is that they have just about done away with fossil fuels other than natural gas. Good for them!

My home state generated more wind energy than the RPS of ~ 9% required in 2012. I think we are trying to export.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yes there is a lot of creative accounting in meeting the RPS targets. The rules are really amazing...someone put a lot of thought into it. But it's hard to understand. In this region for example, MD/DC are taking a lot of RPS credits for paper mill operations which is controversial. Utilities can show maybe 10% renewable on paper without doing anything. At some point, they have to actually do something beyond creative accounting. That's when it gets interesting.

Also I consider on-shore wind almost main-stream now. If a state has wonderful wind resources, OK use it, but that's an easy one.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, that is the situation of the mid-west states, including all of the RED states that have more than token green energy. Even they do not ignore the resource if it is profitable.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That goal for texas at 5.8 GW for 2015 came in 1999, its now 12.3 GW of wind alone, above the old goal for 2025. Many of us want to be at 25GW by 2025 now. Choice + the federal $0.022 has worked better than expected and the state. Texas is the leading consumer of electricity (air conditioning, manafacturing) which means it should do even more as grid improvements allow more power from the west of the state where the best wind and solar is, to the population centers.

One big problem with that map is some states like washington don't include large hydro in renewable, but other states like california do. It makes it hard to compare.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree its hard to make heads or tails out of it. We'd need a state-by-state critique paragraph to understand each state.
    I am very pleased with Texas - just a few years ago I thought it was going 100% coal. I like to the idea of Choice very much, unfortunately the only choice we have here is off-shore wind. But I think we should probably ask the population who is willing to pay extra for it, and proceed on that basis.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So long as you give people choice to pay for dirty fuel, and foot the externalized costs that go along with it, by all means.

11. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    False.

California only recognizes certain types of small hydroelectric generation as part of it's renewable energy portfolio. It does, however, allow future efficiency improvements to be counted for existing large hydro generation.

Here's a one page summary of what electricity generation sources are eligible for inclusion in the renewable standard in California:

California Renewables Portfolio Standard

Here's the definition of allowable hydro from the present CA eligibility guidebook.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2013publications/CEC-300-2013-005/CEC-300-2013-005-ED7-CMF.pdf

See page 27:

I believe large hydro generation presently accounts for about 9% of CA electricity generation and it is not counted as part of the renewable portfolio requirements (33% by 2020).

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Then they aren't doing well toward their goals. They reported 16% of those categories of renewable in california December 2012 to November 2013. I stand corrected if what you say is true that they planning to go from 16% in 2013 to 33% in 2020, but that is a very difficult goal, and I don't see how they will do it with current growth.

Can they import fossil fuel electricity to make the goal and count only fossil generated in state? There has to be some trick they are planning, or maybe they or I don't understand current policies. I see biodiesel in the list. Do they count biodiesel and ethanol as part of power and not diesel and gasoline (E0) as part of fossil? I didn't count the biodiesel but if we add in gasoline ethanol biodiesel and diesel the number drops from the 16%.

Here is older 2012 but broken down to imports and generation.
    Total Electricity System Power
    15.4% in 2012 versus 11% in 2002
    2002 Gross System Electricity Production

13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The 3 big Investor-Owned Utilities (IOUs) that generate 68% of California's electricity had 19.6% average renewable, according to the latest report I've seen. They are roughly on track for 33% by 2020 and are forecast to be ahead of their interim 25% in 2016 goal.

Unless more renewable generation is added (likely) they will be a little behind in actual 2020 generation but can use excess renewable generation against earlier interim goals to temporarily meet their legal mandate.

See:

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/NR/rdonlyres/71A2A7F6-AA0E-44D7-95BF-2946E25FE4EE/0/2013Q4RPSReportFINAL.pdf

image.jpg image.jpg

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks that helps a lot for me to understand the numbers.

So for the RPS we count the big 3 IOU or about 68% of production today. In 2012 they put out about 30 TWh of renewables versus 46.5 TWh produced (34TW) and imported (12.5TW) into the state from all producers from ca.gov out of 302 TW consumed. So the question is in 2025 will the 3 IOUs still be 68% of production (I hope not, other providers would be nice), and what percent will those others be. The goal may not be as out of reach as I thought if you only count the big 3.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

I think Va is too small for choice, but a group of states regulating together like Md, Va, DC, WV, NC, PA has ample wind, solar, coal, and natural gas to set up a choice system. It would take work with the grid operator and federal government to improve the grid to move the renewables, but there is plenty of good wind in west virginia, which is closer to northern virginia than the west texas wind is to Austin. The hard part is for regulators in those states to work together. The people that would pay more for wind and solar will be able to pay to develop more wind in west virginia and more solar in north Carolina, than residence of those states would do on their own. Given the choice of paying a little more ($0.02) and locking in electricity prices for years many texans chose wind, which pressures coal to shut down during the winter here. By 2025 many of these coal plants will close down completely. Hot summers we use more natural gas, moderate summers more coal, but this also will change as more wind makes the Texas regulatory scheme less profitable to run coal plants.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Jeff,

Can you explain why the forecasted online amounts of the different renewable fuels look to be either decreasing or flat in absolute amounts from about 2016 ?

17. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Good question! I'm not sure and haven't really had time to look closely at these documents yet.

If you compare the two graphs, it looks like the main shrinkage is coming from the forecast for geothermal-based generation. I'm not sure why.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can imagine cheaper alternatives like PV and wind replacing expensive geothermal, but I do not understand why the total appears to plateau at 50 GWh/year and then decrease for the five years leading up to 2020. That would be rotten news indeed.

One tantalizing possibility is that the IOUs are anticipating lower retail sales into the next decade, presumably from conservation and homeowner PV that are not REC countable.

Oh and by the way, while the report focuses on the three big IOUs, the RPS appears to cover a much larger fraction of total retail sales than the 68% sold by the big 3. I sure wish the feds would come up with a CA level RPS for industry. As it is, retail is only about 50% of utility sales.