1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replace Key Fob Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rick Grahn, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought that I had seen on on of the Prius web resources instructions (with pictures) on how to replace the battery in the key fob. Was I imaging this or does it exist. If it does exist, can someone help me remember where it was???

FYI: I've tried many searches.

RJG

2. clane47

clane47 New Member

Instructions for replacing the keyfob battery are on page 38 of the 2005 owners manual. I'm sure you would find it somewhere in the 2004 manual also.

Regards,
    Chuck Lane

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And it's very simple...no instructions really needed. Remove the mechanical key, slide off the back cover, take out the screws, take out old, put in new, reverse the first steps.

4. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn\";p=\"97643)</div>
    Rich,

Here is the link you're looking for...

KEY FOB BATTERY REPLACEMENT

5. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is it. I am sorry. I feel like a fool....I did not look in the manual. I assumed that since someone had to take pictures and post the info on the link that RadMarv found for me (that was the one I was thinking of!), that there was nothing in the manual.

Again, my apologies to everyone.

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Too bad the fob doesn't recharge when you plug it into the dash port.

Mittelerde likes this.
  7. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

Maybe Coastaltech or VAIS can work on that.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How many of us have had to replace the fob battery? I have almost a year and a half and no problems. Has anyone replaced the battery prophylactically at one year?

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Nov 13 2005, 09:26 PM) [snapback]155169[/snapback]</div>
    Data point: I'm having to change mine at 14 months.

I did not change it prophylactically, I am having to resort to Plan B.

10. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had my Prius for two years now and have not yet replaced the battery. Being safety conscious, I may decide to go the prophylactic route.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at 65k miles and nearly 3 years (in Oct), and still on my original batteries (and my car has SKS). I think I've rotated through the FOBs though at some point which may help.

The FOB will continue to start the car as it's passive RFID when insterted into the dash. If the battery dies, you simply need to use the manual key.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've done the fobs for both cars and just recently I've found that the 2k4 arming distance has dropped by half again. So I'm going to pull the battery and measure the voltage and see if its down, which I suspect it will be, and I'll probably change it again. By arming distance, about 120 feet with new and last weekend I had trouble setting at about 45'.
    Edit: checked and it's now at 3.013 volts. it was at 3.13 when new. I guess I'll change it.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow! live and learn. I always thought prophylactic was just a fancy name for a rubber. Thank you so much.

14. sand0

sand0 New Member

I have a BIG problem.
    I changed the battery but the fob can't synchronize with the car (2004 prius).
    The fob light flashes the car flashes but at the end the fob can't unlock the car.

What I'm missing here??

15. sand0

sand0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sand0 @ Jan 28 2007, 06:11 AM) [snapback]381895[/snapback]</div>
    ANY ONE?

16. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you stick the fob in the dash slot, can you power-on the car?

17. sand0

sand0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 5 2007, 01:42 AM) [snapback]385434[/snapback]</div>
    Yes the car power and run.
    but the fob light don't come and I can't unlock/lock the car with the remote anymore :(

18. sand0

sand0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sand0 @ Feb 5 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]385665[/snapback]</div>
    My English is not so good. I'm talking for the remote control. And I'm not sure the fob and remote is the same.
    So we are talking about the remote control red light not coming when the open/close button is pressed nor the car unlock/lock.

The red led light only when I replace the battery and the remote try to conect with the car (the car is flashing some lights too :) )

19. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, the good news is you can still start and drive your car. The bad news is you can't lock/unlock it using the fob. I think the fob and the remote, as you've called it, is the same device, right? A little plastic box with a removable metal key (slide a latch at the bottom), a red panic button above that, then the unlock button, and the lock button at the top? There's a tiny LED under the surface on the right side of the lock button, right?

If the little LED flashes for a split second when you push the lock button, your car should lock. If there's enough power to flash the LED, there should be enough power to send a signal to the car, particularly if you are standing close.

You didn't say whether you have an Smart Key System or not. With the SKS, there is a little rubber square on the door handle; pushing it will lock the doors, putting your hand in the handle to open the door will unlock it, so you don't have to use the fob buttons.

I think I'd try replacing the fob battery again. That's a pretty inexpensive battery, and it could be that the new battery you used was old and low powered.

If that doesn't work, it's time to visit the dealer, unfortunately. The dealer's scan tools are needed to solve fob problems.

Good luck!

20. sand0

sand0 New Member

yep the plastick box :)

No it is not the smart entry.

I found somewhere in the service manuals how to reprogram the key. But I lost it :) it was wile ago.
    I have to find it again.