1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replace shocks/struts?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jhknight, Mar 28, 2012.

1. texaslorraine

texaslorraine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    trouble with passsenger rear strut. can springs get bent?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you provide some photos so we can understand what you are writing about. Also, did this clatter exist with the old right-rear shock?

If the clatter did not exist previously, then perhaps there is something wrong with the rear shock or its mounting hardware?

Well, this is possible, or perhaps the rear axle beam is damaged?

#62 Patrick Wong, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. texaslorraine

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that also known as the hubs? if s
    the sound is only with the new strut assembly. the old strut was a bumpy affair but did not clatter. AND, my son took the page out of my prius book and lost it, agh! so I cannot check how to put it back together.. I have all components and was going to reassemble it, for he has sorta given up today. sorta at my wit's end.

4. texaslorraine

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_5692.JPG IMG_5692.JPG

Attached Files:

5. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could it be the sway bar bushings/links or some other component than the strut? Are you sure it just doesn't need a wash?
    TomK

6. Berch1943

Berch1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I got a similar question, is it normal if a shock / strut is leaking. That's what my mechanic told me , should I believe him or is he lying?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is normal for a leak to occur and normal for that suspension part to consequently be impaired. However if you hold a high maintenance standard, it would not be normal to accept that condition indefinitely.

8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rockauto carries them, and the front ones include the top assembly which I call the strut bearing.

9. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ordered full front and rear assemblies on Ebay for my 2003 Gen 1. The brand is "Unity". Price for two rear assemblies was $113.15. The two front assemblies were a total of $138.21. The car definitely needed them. It would bottom out going over speed bumps and railroad tracks. And dips in the road led to long drawn out bouncing.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  10. Hannahkh

Hannahkh New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello!

I have a 1st generation 2002 Prius with about 186K miles on it. I went to the Toyota service dealer and they said I need to replace the front struts, shocks, and bushings, which would cost about $1300-1400. I was hoping to keep my car going for at least another year, is it worth it to get it fixed at this point and if so is this a reasonable cost?

11. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's not reasonable. It's expensive, that's what you get at a Toyota shop. Can you do any of your own work? Shop Rockauto, you can get the stuff you need at a good price. Any decent shadetree mechanic can do this stuff, even replace the ball joints and control arns. Then have an alignment done.

If I'm doing the front struts on my 02, I get a set of those loaded struts, new springs, rubber parts, and the strut bearings up on top--even new nuts. And I do tie rod ends.

Or, you can just keep driving it for a year or so. Probably won't fall apart on you.

#71 Brian in Tucson, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got these on Ebay. 01-03 Toyota Prius Quick Complete Struts & Coil Springs w/ Mounts Set x4 | eBay Total was about $239. I'm gonna do a brake job and replace the front end suspension and steering components at the same time. Need to have it aligned after the new struts, so why wait. Rock auto sells a Moog front end kit for abput $250. Maybe it will solve all the front end twitchiness on the freeway. I can do everything except the alignment myself.

FireFighterHill likes this.
  13. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Brian, those are same struts I used from the same seller. I was and still am happy with them.

14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They look okay, no idea how they work, but at least they're easy and a clean install. Got stalled on my Prius project, I bought a Porsche Boxster in need of TLC. Back to the Prius tomorrow.

15. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are everything you need to replace your front struts.

I just noticed that they are Unity brand. The same as what I got on ebay. Unknown how good they are, I haven't installed my set (all four) yet.

17. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a write-up somewhere on how to get at the top mounts?

18. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    To get to the top mounts you have to remove the windshield wiper arms (note their orientation before removing) and plastic "cowling". It has two Phillip head screws holding it on, one at both sides. Once its off you will have access to the shock towers. Before you loosen it from the shock tower mounts you need to remove the wheel and remove the brake line bracket that attaches to the brake line to the shock. I recommend a decent length "breaker bar" to loosen the nuts on the spindle assembly.

I have the Unity shocks on my Prius and it made a world of difference. Not sure how they compare to say KYB. But they are a whole lot better than worn out blown ones.

The rear shocks you have to remove the rear seat back to get to the shock tower mounts.

Brian in Tucson and WHCSC like this.
  19. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    While you have it off I highly suggest cleaning out the cowl area with a shop vac and a crevice tool, then cleaning the area with some dish soap, a scrub brush and a garden hose. Just be careful not to soak your cabin air filter.

WHCSC and Brian in Tucson like this.
  20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may be the only person here that regularly cleans the cabin air filter on a regular basis.