1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced battery on 2010 Prius and still doesn't start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vikingo, Aug 24, 2014.

1. vikingo

vikingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, the old battery died, possibly because my kids left a light on. In either case, the original battery was 5 years old and needed replacing. This was confirmed at Auto Zone. so I bought a new one but they had to order it from the warehouse. The next morning, I picked up the new Optima battery and installed it. The Prius did not start.
    I thought the battery must have been sitting at the warehouse for a long time (not too many Priuses in South Texas) so no big deal, I just jumped it with the truck. I used the front jump plate and it started right up. I drove it around the neighborhood and over to my Dad's (who has an older model Prius) and I guess I didn't drive enough because it did not start back up.
    So, we went to the internet and couldn't find the solution. It was kinda like old times in High school with the two of us working on an old car, but I digress. We checked every fuse, including the one on the actual battery and everything was fine. My Dad said something about the battery in the FOB and I thought, what the heck? so we went back to Auto Zone and replaced the battery in the FOB.
    We jumped it with the old Prius, which died for a little bit, which was wierd, but it worked on the second attempt. I drove home and ran it in Park with my foot on the gas for 10 min. turned off and did not turn on. At least it was back at my house under the carport. At this point, even the FOb wasn't locking or unlocking the doors. no beeps.
    I borrowed a battery charger from my inlaws because the battery was reading 5.5 volts on 20. I'm not sure if that's 5.5v or 11v but I'm gonna splurge next week and buy an upper end voltmeter. Still nothing. I went back to the internet and noted that one guy had to reset his FOB with a new battery by disconnecting the neg on the battery. The FOB worked no problem. but then the car apparently sucked all the juice out of the battery, which had been charging for 20 min prior to the disconnection.
    At this point, I am overnight charging the battery, hoping that it will hold a charge in the morning because it was sitting in the warehouse for too long and I didn't drive it enough today to charge it up. I will let you know what happens, but I am concerned that there is something in the 12V system that is sucking out the juice. At times, I hear a small whir noise that was described somewhere else as the battery charging system just left of my fuse box.

Any and all comments are welcomed. If this thing doesn't start in the morning, I'm gonna have to go to the dealership, which would be a shame because it was working fine until two days ago.

Serge

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a simple case of a bad optima battery that's dead. Return it for another one

dorunron likes this.
  3. vikingo

vikingo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How did you know that? The battery went from 5.5v to 6.5v by morning. by the time I took it back to the store it tested at 4.5v. They charged it for an hour and wouldn't hold a charge. we are ordering another one overnight.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You told me by your description of the problem.

dorunron likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! if you spend any time here, you will learn to go with any battery besides optima. they have the highest out of the box failure rate. all the best!(y)

dorunron likes this.
  6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And the test results the next morning was proof positive.
    Things "sticking on" and draining the battery are VERY rare occurrences.

dorunron likes this.
  7. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now,, I am curious. Please share the outcome with us, thanks.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    vikingo,

Welcome to Prius Chat. Invest in a OEM battery or a Exide, the Optima is NOT what it used to be. Also, once you get a "good" battery, maintain it with a "smart" charger once a month. The Prius charging system is NOT the best charging system on the planet. It is pretty obvious that you bought a BAD Optima. Yours is NOT the first to be reported this way. I doubt very seriously that the charging system is NOT working properly on your Prius. If it were not, you would see a idiot light on the Prius.

Below is the battery I recommend for your Prius.

OEM Battery.JPG

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)