1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced "Transmission"- Problems Return...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 2002-Prius, Sep 24, 2010.

1. 2002-Prius

2002-Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Here is the story of my first affair with a Prius.I was at an auction and I saw a Prius there that looked to be quite nice. Long story short I won the bid and got the car for a cheap price.
    When I took the car out of the auction it wouldnt drive so I towed it to the dealer.It was driving slowly, not over 15 mph. I researched or the internet and I found out that if the inverter is damaged it can take out the "transmission". So I had a replacement transmission with 80k put in from a car that had been totaled from the rear end.
    The job was done by an independent shop that had Prius experience and it was alot less than the dealer! I wasnt sure of the inverter or the trans being the culprit but I wanted to start with the trans as it had bad fluid... ..Guess what- it fixed it! ...well almost.
    So we took it home nice and happy and completely detailed it.Then when driving fine after about 15 miles the check engine light came on with the red triangle...I think before that the transmission slipped.
    From what I understand the inverter controls the shifting and the transmission.My theory is that the inverter is bad from the previous stress that may have killed the trans. But after reading on this site about the inverter cooling pump and the 12 volt battery and other things it has me thining that I want to hear from some pros about this.I want to dig in and really find the problem.

Any help guys...?:welcome:

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First I congratulate you on taking this chance with an auction vehicle. But as you' re quickly learning, a Prius is not like ordinary cars.

I'm going to assume you have some confidence in your skills and a reasonable set of metric tools. What you're going to need are:

1. Prius specific scanner - there are multiple electronic control units (ECUs) that pretty well manage the car. The biggies are hybrid vehicle, battery, and engine ECU. Other ECUs handle the keyfob and RFI key, the electronic power steering, airbags, body and other systems. See some of the other threads about your options.
    2. Maintenance manuals - volume I addresses problem diagnosis and volume II handles repairs. The electrical schematics are very useful too. These can be bought on Ebay or directly from Toyota TIS. I paid a little over $300 for my set when I bought my used, 2003 Prius five years ago.

First comes diagnosis and for that you'll need a Prius specific scanner. Your options:

1. Rent Graham miniscanner - $150 tool deposit, $15/month. I have one available. This scanner covers the major codes from the hybrid vehicle, battery, and engine ECUs, the majority of problems. However, it does not read out inverter subcodes, a second layer of diagnostic information. It is NHW11 Prius specific and won't work with other cars.
    2. Buy a ScanGauge - $150-$175 and add an adapter. Two users, w2co and vincent1449p have cracked the codes for the HV and battery ECU including what we think are the subcodes for the inverter. Since work continues on this unit, it has 'legs' and represents an excellent value for a purchased unit. It can also be used in other cars.
    3. Buy Auto Enginuity to use with your USB equipped laptop - $400 with the Toyota option. Their support is terrible but the package covers pretty much all ECUs. It doesn't handle the inverter subcodes but it provides enough engineering data to help identify the specific failure. They offer modules for other vehicles so it shares some of the ScanGauge flexibility but did I mention their support s*cks? You'll need an adapter to avoid spiking the ABS ECU.
    I do not recommend the "generic" scanners sold by auto stores and Sears. They pull emissions related data and not NHW11 Prius specific data. Sometimes you get one or two codes and a smattering of engine data but they are totally blind to the HV and battery ECU.

Bob Wilson

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another option is to take the car to your local Toyota dealer and pay for an hour or two of labor to have the DTC read and a diagnosis offered.

Your message above says that you thought that the inverter was damaged. Was that replaced?

The hybrid vehicle ECU controls the operation of the inverter and transaxle, BTW.

4. jk450

jk450 New Member

It sounds like you thought the inverter was faulty. Did you retrieve any codes from the vehicle prior to repairs?

It is unlikely that the inverter damaged the transaxle. If you still have the old transaxle, you may want to hang on to it.

If the vehicle's 12V battery had been disconnected during the repair, it may have taken a little time for the code to reappear. In other words, it's possible that the vehicles condition is essentially the sane as when you bought it.

Again, that is unlikely. The transaxle is a lot stronger than the inverter.

You'll need to get the current diagnostic trouble codes and subcodes.

5. 2002-Prius

2002-Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

Hello guys, thanks. Yes we took the car to a toyota dealer and they pulled the codes.The toyota dealer quoted us $8000 for a new transaxle! So we went to an independent shop and had a used low mileage trans put infor less than a 1/4 of the price. I believe replacing the transaxle was the right thing to do as before we took the car to the shop it woulndt go over 15 mph and now after the repair it will drive on the fwy at 80 mph. We did not change the inverter-just the transaxle.The fluid in the trans was burned also so that pointed me to the trans.

I am going to get the codes and post them here, I dont have the old codes from before the repair but the codes pointed this direction (according to the dealer)....