1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Turn Signals, Fog Lights, High Beams, Parking Lights & Rear License Plate Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by stream, Jun 13, 2009.

1. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Powerbulbs.com was the least expensive for these bulbs, plus you get the free set of W5W bulbs, which you need for the front parking lights, and/or rear license plate.

I've done this bulb upgrade on many cars over the years and for some reason the Philips Silver Visions weren't available in the U.S., though this time a few eBayers had them, but they were more expensive than Powerbulbs.com.

And even though they ship from the UK, I've always received them within a week (and shipping is free).

2. PracticalEfficiency

PracticalEfficiency New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replaced my stock turn signals with the Philips Silver Vision WY21W, and they are definitely whiter when off and brighter when on than the Prius stock bulbs.

However, I just bought a 2010 Subaru Outback, and was going to replace the turn signals on that with the same bulb (they use the same type). Turns out the outback has perfectly clear bulbs for their turn signals, and is even brighter than the Philips (I tested).

So now I'm going to look for some clear powerful ones that are brighter than the Philips like the outback has to put on the Prius.

3. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If they just flash white won't you get in trouble with the law? I thought turn signal indicators must flash yellow?

4. PracticalEfficiency

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No they flash amber like they're supposed to. The Subaru lights are identical to the philips one except with a completely clear bulb and they are brighter. I still haven't been able to find what brand they are though.

Also that's a pretty nice combination of cars you got :)

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the bulb is clear (with no sign of amber) when not illuminated, and amber when illuminated, they're likely LEDs.

6. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is incorrect... Silver Vision produces an amber colour when lit and features a mirror surface when switched off. Their special mirrored coating renders them invisible against the reflectors, eliminating the fried-egg effect of orange bulbs. They may look like chrome ball bearings, but in use they still flash orange.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm aware of that--see the first post of this thread. ;)

According to PracticalEfficiency, the Subaru has "completely clear" bulbs--see below. This is what I was responding to.

1 person likes this.
  8. PracticalEfficiency

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah... I will post a comparison photo later of all 3 bulbs (prius stock, philips, subaru stock) later on today or tomorrow.

9. FreakinToddles

FreakinToddles New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In case anyone orders from powerbulbs... here's a 10% off code for ya ;)
    ZXRCX111

I ended up ordering the "fried egg" replacement bulbs for my turn signals front/back, and then it comes with the free bulbs for my license plate.

10. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    STREAM,

Since we both have the V, I only wanted to change out the High Beams and the Fogs....So were there any mods needed for these bulbs or were they just swap one for one...just that easy??

I know sometimes they need a adapter and just wanted to inquire. Did you buy them online or at a local auto parts store?

For the Fogs you have to take the plate off the bottom if I read right???

Thanks!
    Bob

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Comments in bold below. And not that you asked :D, but I'd suggest also getting the turn signal bulbs--makes the car look much cleaner--and when you order them at powerbulbs.com you get a free pair of bulbs you can use for the front parking lights (so they better match the headlight light color).

12. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Update - did some research last night. Concerned about the LEDs - size and actual Lumens. So decided to go with Osram MiniXen® 2886X mini wedge. This is the same size as the standard T10 168/194 bulb but rated quite a bit brighter; perhaps 2x or more. Very white light - good for above the LEDs headlights and they're Xenon. We'll see when they arrive - I'll report back.

Shipping - UPS - was more than the bulbs.
    Mini wedge 2886X 2 4.20
    base upgrade bulb - stage 2
    Subtotal 8.40
    Shipping 7.31
    Tax 0.00
    Total 15.71

http://store.candlepower.com/2886x.html

-----------------------

Not sure if this is covered here - a very l o n g thread.

I use my parking lights as (in place of) DRLs. Just keep the light switch clicked one position all the time. They go off when the car power is off - no delay. Unfortunately the front parking lights are only 5W. (W5W bulb).
    I would really like to upgrade to a higher wattage for the parking lights - perhaps 10 or a bit more. Simply to -of course- make them brighter and closer to REAL DRLs.

Are these type of bulbs available anywhere? I checked the Power Bulbs site to no avail.

Would there be a power / heat issue if higher wattage is used up there? I have a V with LEDS FYI.

Would something like (LED) this work???
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_1761wt_749

13. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, this post confuses me. Did you order those Osram bulbs for the parking lights? Or what? :)

14. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes - only the parking lights.

You no doubt know this, but for others that may not: Parking lights are the single bulb lamp directly above the headlights. On with one click of the headlight stalk, along with the tail lights.

I could not find anything worthy with the T10 base at higher wattage than 5W.

Checked out LED bulbs with a T10 base - Struck out there, too risky.

Then came upon the Osram Xenon as described below. May be the ticket - should get them by Monday and will report back.

15. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I'm looking for really white H11 bulbs for my fog lights. I read this thread, and I see the PIAAs are pretty white, but I read the reviews on Amazon and they are mixed. Do you think they are the whitest (not looking for brightness to be honest) H11s out there?

16. JJ742

JJ742 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Based on the pointers in this thread I replaced my parking lights, turn signals, and lights for the rear license plate. I'm considering changing my halogens (I have a Prius IV) but am on the fence due to the mixed reviews on the PIAAs. Are there other options to provide a somewhat brighter beam? I'm not interested in going the HID route. Thanks :)

17. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I wouldn't go brighter by going with higher wattage halogens. I did that many years ago in my Camaro SS and I melted the connector. They were something like 85w. Also, they are not street legal...

Other companies like philips make silverstar ultra's that are 55w but I have heard too many stories of them burning out quickly. It seems the PIAA's may be the best route to go if staying halogen...

18. antiflash

antiflash New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would go with an HID kit for your fogs. I just put some in to replace my lows and they are great! I went with a 5k H11 kit from a local shop but you can find them online all day long on ebay etc (for the lows). I think the stock fogs are the 9005's...I have seen those online as well.

19. radioprius1

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The stock fogs are H11. Wouldn't putting HIDs in the fog lights blind the heck out of everyone? Or since it's so low it would be ok?

20. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the Osram NightBreaker H11s are supposed to be the best H11 lamps out there... i have a set for my headlights. They are a bit brighter and whiter (4000K)...