1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing Canadian DRL's from Halogen to LED

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Koji, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Koji

Koji Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    First post / apologies if this has been covered:

My Canadian 2013 Prius V Touring has Halogen DRL's; I would like to change the bulbs to LED for lower power consumption and longer bulb life, as well as customization. I am aware of the differences in colour temperature among LED bulbs, and this may change the front appearance compared with the other halogen bulbs (I expect only this to be noticeable when the headlights are on high beam)

According to the manual, the DRL bulb is HB3, 60W, Type B and also serves as the high beam.
    Is this correct?

If I buy a compatible LED bulb, is it simply a matter of changing the bulb myself? Has anyone done this with a Canadian model (which has halogen headlights and DRL's that work)? If yes, which LED bulb? A photo would be appreciated!

Thank you!
    Koji

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It would be illegal to replace your halogen highbeam bulbs with LED lights.

The DRLs are the halogens operated at reduced power, and the highbeam is the same bulbs at full power.

There are no HID or LED replacement options that would satisfactorily serve both DRL and highbeam modes.

Keep it stock. If you want to do something to make it look a little different, put some yellow or PIAA plasma ion bulbs ($$$) in there. Yes, they are both halogens. Keep the stock wattage when replacing the factory bulbs as well.

SCH-I535

3. Koji

Koji Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like good advice. And lightning fast response to my query! Thank you!