1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing CFLs with LEDs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by dhanson865, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

300 lumens directed in the direction you want, is going to be far better than 300 lumens in all directions, and then kind of redirected with a lamp shade. I may just get one for my desk lamp. Now if they would only make them that direct light toward the base...

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I took a killawatt meter and measured some bulbs vs their nameplate rating. I saw much lower usage partially because my voltage at the wall was 122V making them more efficient and partly because the granularity on the killwatt meter just isn't accurate enough for single digit wattages.

11W used, 13W CFL 2700K
    8W used, 10W CFL 2700K
    4W used, 6.5W SunSun LED 3000K
    3.5W used, 7W SimpleEnergyWorks LED 4000K
    3W used, 6.5W SunSun LED 5000K
    1W used, 3W G7 Power LED 3000K

I've also decided after using them I'm not as willing to use large amounts of >=5000K bulbs

5000K bulbs are too harsh looking, on the edge of blue white.
    4000K bulbs are just about right, work well if you can mix them with 3000K bulbs

3500K should be just right if I could find a modern bulb at this color to use

3000K bulbs are still too yellow for my taste but still nicer than 2700K and mix well with 4000K bulbs where the fixture allows.
    2700K bulbs are way, way, way too yellow and should be banned

3. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Whoa there, that's quite a statement! I've tried and returned numerous LED bulbs and have not found any above 3000K that were satisfactory in our home environment. My wife, who I wouldn't have framed as particularly fussy about lighting, has also been quick to notice any of those bulbs. Whether in our kitchen, living room, bathroom, or outdoors, lighting above 2700-3000K appears harsh, sterile, and unflattering.

I take it that this is a common feeling; a number of neighbors have installed ~3500K bulbs at their front entry which looked terribly un-inviting - and all of them switched them out to 2700K relatively quickly. When we switched to 3500K florescent lighting at work, the complaints were near unanimous.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I suspect the majority of people are just conditioned to warm white lighting by having grown up in a home majority lighted by incandescent bulbs. In the case of these bulbs, the color temperature wasn't selected out of preference, but due to limits in technology. So centuries of artificial lighting have people preferring yellow light over full spectrum. Perhaps it goes back further to when we only had firelight to keep the unknown dark at bay.

Whatever the reason, I find it silly and little sad. We have a couple L prize bulbs from Panasonic and some Fiets from Costco. The Panasonics, a 2700K to 3000K bulb, look yellow to me, and they wash things out. The Fiets have a cooler light that makes things crisper. Despite being rated a 100 lumens lower than the Panasonics, they also look brighter.

Perhaps I have been spoiled by having worked in a pet store and keeping aquarium and reptiles for years. We had a lot of full spectrum lighting, which has a higher color temp than cool white, in our home for years. One of the reef bulbs approached near ultraviolet.

5. Cactuscoug

Cactuscoug CactusCoug

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will add one more:

5.) LED's are more easily dimable. We have dimmers all over our home, and LED's are the way to go. So now, a 15-w bulb is only drawing 5-w.

6. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I'm sure that what we are used to drives some of it, but I think it's more complicated than that. I don't choose my lighting color for mid-day use - as at home we have enough natural light most of the year that any interior lighting is ancillary. For evening/night-time and morning use I don't want daylight color temperatures - the sun is not 5500k at those times, nor is any light source we have had from the dawn of humankind until very recent times (from fire to candles to lanterns to oil lamps to electric lamps). Lower color temperatures feel natural to me at those times of day, and I think for good reason.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I get the whole Kelvin lighting color thing ... But what I can't wrap my head around is the color rendition index thing (CRI). When I first saw the initials I thought they were talking CRE manufacturer.

8. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Perfect CRI as in incandescent bulbs means that colors are represented accurately under that light.

To put a practical spin on it, consider your typical street lamp which is either Low Pressure Sodium (the worst CRI) or High Pressure Sodium (slight better but still bad). Yes, you can technically see under those lamps, but you can't discern differences in color or even accurately make out details.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So does that mean at some particular Kelvin rating, the CRI rating will be perfectly matched to incandescent light? If so - what Kelvin # is that equivant to ... somewhere around 2800?

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The white Feit bulbs I have aren't noon sunlight equivalent. They are 3000K, which makes them technically soft white. While many find the 2700K light homey, I don't. As I have said, to me they have a yellow cast. Perhaps I am equating the lower color temperature to incandescent and thus inefficiency, or my poor opinion of lower color temperature lights formed from a lifetime of reading late into the night under incandescent bulbs.

Now some related asides:
    I have candles if I want that soft, yellowish light for some reason.
    While we are used to lower color temp in the evening, we would probably be less depressed if our bulbs were around 5000K.
    It should be a crime to mix warm and cool white Christmas lights in a display.

And a question, the porch lights that were replaced, what were their CRI? While I don't like our Panasonic's color temp, they have a CRI of 93, and should(I haven't tested) do a better job making an object appear their true colors than the Feits which are only listed as >80. The bottom of this link has two photos taken under flourescents. One with 92+ CRI and the other at around 80.
    Color Temperature & Color Rendering Index DeMystified
    It also has a lot of info there.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The link I posted above explains it.
    "A simple definition of Color Rendering Index (CRI) would measure the ability of a light source to accurately render all frequencies of its color spectrum when compared to a perfect reference light of a similar type (color temperature)."
    So it is independent of color temp. The noon sun and an incandescent bulb both are 100 CRI. The colors of objects seem under them will be fully rendered, but will look different due to the differing color temps.

Color temperatures were based off the sun and other incandescenting black bodies. They are the standard for CRI with a 100 rating. Flourescent and LED lights aren't incadescenting light sources so they may not render the full color spectrum.

There is also the Wiki article. Color temperature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can't go for a big change in certain ways. For example if you have 2700K bulbs in one room and 5000K bulbs in another the 5000K bulbs will look worse than if you had 5000K bulbs throughout.

If I have 2700K bulbs next to 3000K bulbs the 2700K bulbs look horrible. If I only have 2700K bulbs I don't notice it.

If I have 3000K bulbs next to 4000K bulbs they both look OK to me, one being yellow looking and the other white.

If I have a 3000K next to a 5000K I don't like the 5000K.

If cost were no matter I could easily switch to 3000K or 4000K throughout and never regret it. But since I can only afford to replace some of my bulbs I'm swapping from 2700K to 3000K for most and I'll swap from 3000K to a higher color temp a few years down the road when I get rid of my last 2700K bulbs.

I have a fixture over my head with a 3000K and 4000K bulb (opposing positions on the ceiling under one dome) I can clearly see the difference if I look up but I'm good with the mixture in the room. Anywhere I don't have opposing bulbs I'm sticking with 3000K for now.

I think part of the reason people don't like bulbs above 3000K is there aren't smaller steps between 3000K and 5000K in most brands and the 5000K has horrible CRI for most brands. If they would just make a proper 3500K or 4000K in a higher CRI and stop offering low quality 5000K bulbs I think you'd find it isn't the color temp that is bothering you as much as the odd CRI.

Trollbait likes this.
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Found these at Home depot just a day or 2 ago: Great price - 360° light, funny flat shape, 10.5 watts & 800 lumens.

philipsLEDs.jpg
    I'd of purchased a few, but I'm already full up of other styles - that I'd already paid more for.

14. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    unfortunately still nothing but 2700K and 5000K on those and still more expensive than the SunSun bulbs. I'd be willing to grab one if I knew for sure that it'd work in my motion detector socket in the garage (that makes most LED bulbs flicker).

15. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do that. I replaced 40/60W freezer/fridge bulbs with 6W daylight corn-shaped LEDs and it feels like a new appliance now.
    Even though I paid $2 each (ebay), will never recoup the cost, though.

16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting experience with the overstated LED power. I find it very common in the cheap $1-2 ebay LEDs. Advertized as 6-12 W they really consume only 3-4W. As many of those project strong light in only one direction, many buyers are fooled by the power claims. This is the style I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

17. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They aren't terribly overstated. Notice even the CFLs run below rated on my power.

There is also the inaccuracy of my measurements which becomes an increasingly significant error as you drop below 5W. I just don't have expensive enough testing equipment to get down to tenths of a watt and I'm not sure how accurate it is even in the 10W range.

#117 dhanson865, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Only $10 a piece ! ! ! Oh yea - the future had definitely arrived :)
    20140608_111558-1.jpg Picked up a [EDIT] FOUR pack of these bad boys today and so far they are working great. They come in both warm and cool COLORS. I opted for the warmer ones at 2700 KELVINS rather than the cooler ones rated in the 3000's. Nice & compact - long life rating.... 9 watts - 800 lumens - dimable, and outdoor rated .... for the price - I don't know if it gets any bette. [2nd edit] Ok - I checked 'em in a couple of our ceiling fans. "iffy" they only work in one or our 4 ceiling fan dimmers but all of our 4 wall mount can light dimmers.

#118 hill, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  19. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FWIW, we're using the same CREE 60W LED's in two of our ceiling fans because the CFL's that we were using simply didn't last; the upside-down mounting "trapped" heat into their base, where the electronics reside, causing them (CFL's) to repeatedly "die" after only 6-9 months of use. So far, the LED's have made it almost 2 years without a single problem.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is interesting since the achille's heel of LEDs is early death from over-heating of the electronics.

Perhaps the CREE have a better design for heat dissipation.