1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing HID Headlights on 2007 Prius - Bumper off or not

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by spree252, Dec 31, 2008.

1. trsandy2000

trsandy2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you tell me the location of the ballast's on an 07 Prius? I have tried to see them by following the connecting wires from the bulb but cannot see them. Are they buried underneath? Is that why you have to take the bumper off? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Andy

2. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Look at this youtube video. >>>> youtube.com/watch?v=4zG2BPEK0dQ <<<<
    when she takes out the headlight assembly the ballast appears to be attached to the bottom of the assembly. Hope that helps.

I can't post a direct url link until i make 5 more posts.
    I keep getting the message: "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 5 posts or more"

If you cut and paste the link above or go to youtube and search for "remove Prius headlight in under 5 minutes" you'll find the video.
    sorry I can't help more...

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I forgot to add that No you do NOT need to take the plastic bumper cover off.

I was able to change both my OEM halogen bulbs for Silverstar ultra's in less that 30 minutes; and that was my first attempt at changing them. So once you know what you're doing - you should be able to remove and install the headlight assemblies much quicker.

I'm not sure how much "extra" stuff you have since you have the HID setup, but the headlight assembiles come out the same way. Just do one side at a time, That way you don't have to worry about the bumper cover falling off the front of the car.

4. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just want to confirm the other members that the bumper DOES NOT need to be off to change the bulbs. I had someone help me with mine yesterday. It took about 15 minutes for both sides.

5. Helio

Helio Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't take the bumper off! I watched this great video and did mine in 30 minutes. I could have done it sooner but my ADD kicked in and I was busy checking out the pretty braided harness and then the self-leveler and... I was truly amazed how easy it was.
    One question after I changed them. I was surprised that that bulb that came out of the car was the exact same manufacturer and part no. as the one I bought off Amazon.com (Philips D4R XenEco, 42406). If it was a "defective" bulb to begin with why is it the one still recommended by everyone to put back in?

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very few companies make the D4R, primarily Philips ($55 Amazon) and Chinese knock-offs. Amazon sells the Sylvania D4R for $116. In North America, they only go into Prius, Avalon, and a few Lexus models. The options will always be limited. But at least there is a choice to pay $55 to Amazon vs. $150 + tax to a Toyota dealer for the same exact part.

7. RichPasco

RichPasco Richard C. Pasco, Ph.D.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately the link given in krg03's post to "HO - Horn.pdf" is now broken (returns 404 Not found).
    Here are two other links which, as of today, seem to work:
    http://stuff.jaygroh.com/prius/Prius%20Info/Official%20Toyota%20Info/Repair%20Information/Repair%20Manual/HO%20-%20Horn.pdf
    http://www.hybrids.ru/files/OfficialToyotaInfo/RepairInformation/RepairManual/HO%20-%20Horn.pdf

8. RichPasco

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In my 2007 Owner's Manual the procedure for changing headlamp bulbs is on pp. 420-422. It isn't in the index under "Headlamps" (where I would expect it) but it is in the Table of Contents under "Do It Yourself Maintenance - Electrical Components" (section 8.3). I'll give it a try and post back later.

9. RichPasco

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    These videos seem to be very helpful. Basically the same procedure as Luscious Garage, but more detail:

How to remove a Prius headlight lightbulb

How to install a Prius headlight lightbulb