1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing laser key cylinder

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sfork, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Sfork

Sfork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it be possible to replace the Door's laser key cylinder with the 2008 version? We recently got a 2010 for our taxi fleet but the metal key doesn't even work. We need 5-6 keys to hand out to the drivers and it would be loads cheaper to get the 2008 cylinder with the easy to duplicate keys. I've been lurking for a while and you guys really helped me out especially with reprogramming fobs.

If no one has an answer I'd be willing to attempt it since we have a bunch of <2009 Prius but I'd have to take a cab off the road, which I'd rather avoid.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Quickest way to find out is to try it. See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...om-key-question-not-your-normal-question.html for info about replacing a Gen2 cylinder.

Just take the cylinders out of a Gen2 and a Gen3, and see if you can install them in the opposite car.

The keyfobs cannot be swapped. Getting the opposite type mechanical key for the keyfob is going to be a real project, but not necessary. Just use a $2 ordinary key and put it on the keyring.

Let us know how it works out. My guess is that it will work just fine.

3. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting fix.

If it doesn't work out, PM me.

Safe trips,
    Dave

4. Sfork

Sfork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Robh, that thread is originally where I got the idea from. The fob stays in the car with SKS disabled so that's no problem, the drivers just need to get in the car to access it.

5. Sfork

Sfork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Testing was inconclusive, the GenII is maybe 2-3 MM shorter. My particular GenII had a cylinder assembly with a slightly bent shaft.

I could lock the door but not unlock it, this is probably due to a combination of bent shaft and being shorter. I was unable to tell if an unbent shaft would be long enough to both lock and unlock the door.

6. Sfork

Sfork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I found a cheaper blank at least the JMA Toyo 18p

7. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know OEM Gen3 blanks are expensive through the dealer, but you can find TOY51Ps for a lot less - even at the locksmith. Ebay blanks (TOY51P chi-clones) run from $4-$9, incl shipping.

And I realize, unless you need a blank to fit the fob (which you don't,) a flat key alternative is preferred. FYI, the mini-flat blank that I modify costs me about $5 from the locksmith (the 30-45 minutes to modify it sucks however ;) )

And the main point is - Dealer scam for blanks and cuts :jaw: