1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Stock Horns With Stebel Magnums

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jiipa, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to replace my wimpy horns with a set of Stebel Magnums. The Stebels come with a 30 Amp Relay.

Do I need to use the relay when installing them on my Prius, or can I just attach them to the existing horn wires?

Thank You in advance for any assistance you can provide.

2. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry, I don't have that precise answer, but I can tell you that Camry horns are a simple swap - pull out the Prius horns, plug in the Camry horns. I bought 4 yr old horns on ebay for $20. Much louder than the Prius beep.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think the Prius has a horn relay but I don't know for sure. A relay (if there is no relay now) will reduce voltage loss to the horn and boost the volume slightly. It is also cheaper to replace than the contacts in the steering wheel, a relay reduces arcing at the switch because of very low current draw.

4. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do have a pair of Camry horns I could use, but then my '94 Camry would go "beep-beep" :)

Thanks for the reply though.

5. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Pat, I was hoping for "plug and play" but I think I'll go the safe route and use the relay with it's own 20A fuse in-line. I don't want to start blowing the stock horn fuse, or fry the contacts, wiring or worse.

6. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the db rating of the Camry horns? the Stebel Nautilus is rated at 139

7. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius