1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Repo'ing my daughter's car

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Oct 24, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    geologyrox-

national merit scholar, national dean's list member, member of one of the top graduate programs in my field. graduated high school with a 3.8, did my bachelor's in 3 years with a 3.5 and was the 'poster child' of undergraduate research in my department.

i worked 45-60 hours a week through it all until i got into grad school and the school started paying me instead.

school comes first, but for some of us it requires that we work that much to pay for it. besides, we all have to learn to balance work with other responsibilities, whether it's school or whatever. that's life. just because you're in school doesn't mean you're allowed to shirk any other responsibility.

2. SulkyGirl

SulkyGirl New Member

I completely agree. Although actually, I went to a private school, and by the time we were seniors, *every* kid had a car. A BMW, a Jag, a Mercedes...every kid except me and my sister. I was literally the only junior and then senior who rode the bus. I was the only junior and then senior with a job.

And you know what? Big deal. I got rides from friends and my parents, I biked and walked and rode the bus. I got straight A's, I was the captain of two sports teams, I had practice and games and schoolwork. And I did it without a car. And now at 28 I own my own business and am the first of my friends to buy a brand new car for *myself*. (my gorgeous new Prius!). B)

16 is young, but it's not too young to understand responsibility. 2 hours of cleaning a week for a CAR? I would've killed for that opportunity at her age. If she just stopped, out of laziness, and you've had conversations about it...then that car should be GONE. Just my opinion. :)

3. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

In reading through what other people have said I've noticed a trend. It sounds like a lot of you have grown up and may not really remember what it was like being imature. This isn't an age thing, it's a maturity thing. Just try to remember what it was like when you were 14, 16 or even 19 for some of us. You don't look at the world the same as when you're 25, 35 or 45. In fact, as you mature you're views and attitudes continuously change. What's my point?

She''s 16, young and imature. She probably hasn't worked a "career" yet. Her main focus in life right now is to spend time with friends and have fun. She can't even fathom how different life will be once she out of school, working a career or trying to start a family.

Yes, you should try to talk to her (although this probably won't get you very far). Yes, she needs to learn some responsibility but this isn't going to happen overnight nor will it happen if you simply take her car away. As she matures her responsibilities will naturally mature as well. It osunds like at this point, she still more kid then adult.

Given that, my suggestions are:
    1. Don't try to take away her key's or her car.
    2. Buy either a Club or Brake pedal lock (I would've suggested a boot but their reallye xpensive) and lock her car.
    3. Write up a very large ticket (yellow paper) and paste it to her winshield. In this ticket you should say "Deliquent car payment... payment due in XX-days or car will be auctioned..contact this #." or something similiar.
    4. Wait for her to call or contact you.

Basically by doing this your:
    1. Similuating what will happen in real life (in real life they don't just seize your car immediately, unless it's you miss your first payment and have bad credit).
    2. Allowing her to continue seeing her beloved car and seeing what she's missing (this is worse then having it gone).
    3. Allowing her decide wheather she really wants to keep her car.

Just my 2 cents.
    --GD

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, sorry to hear about your situation. Frankly, it's tough to give concrete advice since every kid is different. My take is just take the car til she repays (money or in work hours) the amount she owes unless she has a perfectly good reason such as having to pay for books or what not.

If there's anything my parents taught me is that always be happy with what you have. There will always be people better off than you and people worst off than you. If you have a "luxury" item such as a car at 16 (which I didn't), you better damn well treasure it and not take it for granted. Likewise, never complain that you want this and that.

The reason we got a car is because there's me and my brother. Also, it cuts down on commute time significantly (20 mins vs 1hr+). This time can be spent on homework or studying. You also go to school and come home in a happier mood rather than being around other depressed students going to school at 7am in the morning when it's dark, cold and rainy outside.

Do I take this for granted? yes and no. Yes cause I assume there's always a car available if I need it. No, I'm apparently the "caretaker" for both cars. It's my job to keep them clean inside and out and all chips are patched up asap. It's my job to make sure the tyres are properly inflated and that the cabin air filter is clean. This is my job in return for use of the vehicles.

So Schmika, I guess I'll stick with what I said in the first paragraph. Hope it works out for you.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Oh, mine, and it was just vacumn, mop kitchen only, and dust one room each time.

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

You are hitting the very things that are making me vacillate. She is doing well in school - B's- She has a lead in the school play. She HAD been active in the Civil Air Patrol and worked her way up to Lt. (aux of USAF)

Worked at a pizza shop, quit because it wasn't fun anymore. Works part time at a Renaissance festival (ended yesterday) and with her mother at a golf course (seasonal)

As some of you inferred or assumed, this has been a progressive problem. I accept my part of it since I would frequently "give in". Her mother is little help, she left me years ago (yes, she left me and just left her 2nd husband as well) and we don't communicate well. She and my youngest have "kept secrets" from me in order to prevent me from "getting mad about it".

I have heard thru the grapevine that she talked a car out of her step-dad but I haven't confirmed that yet. (That car supposedly has A/C and a radio) We had a problem with her either using up or letting her friends use up a phone card of mine. She denies it BUT the circumstantial evidence is pretty solid. That was the latest discussion that has pretty much resulted in a cessation of communication.

I sent a letter to her asking for a reconnection, no answer yet.

Hey, I really appreciate these responses. Some things have been said that gave me a different perspective. I like the idea of taking the car and holding off on selling it. She did pay the last installment on insurance so it is insured and licenses thru january.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

To those who can't believe a car is almost essential to a teen's existence, welcome to the new millennium, particularly if you don't live near any metropolitan areas. Cellphones aren't essential either, neither are laptops, nor are typewriters, now try to get through school without any of those items. Why make it that much harder, give them the tools they need to excel. Versus spending X hours working to pay the car, that can be spent studying, which, ideally, translates into better grades.

I also want to point out, there'a a big difference between having a car to get from point A to B, and a brand new 300M...

;)

8. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Selling it seems a bit harsh to me. At most you should just take the car back and not allow her to drive it yet until she does what you've agreed.

9. popoff

popoff New Member

IMHO, the key to the situation is in this sentence. Gives me the impression that you are not on the best terms with your ex and that there is a significant communications gap between the three of you.

Is the car issue just the tip of the iceberg?

Personally, I favor the idea of your parking the car thereby getting it out of the equation and work at opening up a line of communication that will allow looking at the deeper issues involved here.

BTW, if it's already not obvious, my second job is armchair psychologist and I (like Lucy) charge 5 cents per hour.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car isn't essential, nor is a cell, nor is a laptop.

Parents need to be involved enough to participate in extracurricular stuff. If they want a car then earn it.
    Cell phone...clearly a luxury...period.
    laptop....another luxury. Computer access is not a luxury--there can be a home PC or the public library can be used.

Our definitions of "tools they need to excel" are quite different. Giving non-essential items should be a reward for a display of excellence not a substitute for teaching them the skills required to do so. In my mind those tools are responsibility, character, self-reliance and maturity. Those things can't be bought or paid for, they must be taught. The material things will follow.

If the material things take the lead then it becomes more and more difficult to instill the "tools" they really need.

But, what do I know. I only have 3 kids. I only worked my own way through HS, college, med school and residency. I never had a car given to me, or a computer, or a cell phone...did get a cheap type-writer once. I'm not upset about any of it, I appreciate what I have earned and am a person of high moral character. I'm not sure I'd have had the fortitude to get through some of the harder times of my life if I had been instilled with a sense of entitlement, that daddy would give me what I wanted or fix everything for me when times were tough.

Maybe I'm out of touch MS....or maybe you are. Just depends on where you place your values I guess.

11. Mystery Squid

Obviously, I disagree to an extent, but I did want to bring up the fact many schools these days are issuing their students laptops, or at least, offering reduced rates on them. The world is waaaay too technologically dependent, and to actually not have one, is a hindrance. Having access to one in a library is nice, but how many campus libraries are open all night? Or even have advanced capabilities you might find on a personal laptop?

Cell phone a luxury??? Maybe in 1991... Unless you're an atypical doctor, what, do you keep in touch via payphones? Beepers? :lol:

It's called "progression", the tools needed to succeed in 1965 are different than they are today, the bar is higher. As for a reward, clearly. Regardless of what either you or I consider "essential", one thing is clear, adverse behavior requires restrictions to whatever in some form, this, we independently came to the same conclusion on.

No doubt, full agreement there.

So tell us, would your life through HS, college, med school, and residency been easier had someone been gracious enough to, let's say, give you a beater car to get from point A to B, a cell phone, and a laptop? Might you have done better had you not had to improvise in certain respects? Would you have been any less of the person you are today? What is soooo wrong, with using material tools to leverage one's success?

12. Mystery Squid

You know, I think there's a deeper tangent-issue evolving here... The classic have vs. have-nots argument. The have-nots will almost always trump their merits over the "haves", and vice-versa. No one wants to feel lesser than anyone else, as it really seems to be attached to a matter of personal integrity...

One of humanities "uglier" traits...

lol, er sorry, back on topic... :lol:

13. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

Well, I'm going to avoid attacking anyone else's suggestion but I personally endorse the idea of getting one those locking devices and lock the car, if feasible. This would allow her to see the car and know that it hasn't been taken. It should also stimulate a bit of discussion and perhaps lead to some resolution. In my opinion there are two issues here. One is responsibility and the other a lack of communication. Clearly, she's avoiding you and thus the communication aspect. Second, she has gone back on her part of the deal without explanation. She is a good student, so she's smart. Add to that she's a thespian and in my experience, that means she has an understanding of human nature and is therefore an excellent manipulator. Selling the car would be a huge mistake. Stimulating a little conversation between you is good. I just suggest that you start making notes on what you want to say before you take action. This is a situation you want to be prepared for and don't want to say anything counter-productive, which is very very easy to do with a 16 year old.... B)

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like to me the root of this is the disconnect with your daughter. Not knowing the family situation makes this a tough subject to take a stand on, because I don't know how she feels about the step-father, or if he is involved with her extra-curricular activities, etc. I basically agree to take the car back, but not sell it yet until you find out the whole story. If it's the step-father buying her another car, that's something you need to approach the step-father about and decide on a plan of attack.

But I can throw in my own personal experience. I got a car when I turned 17 - mainly because I was the Co-Captain of the Debate Team, Chief of my Order of the Arrow Lodge, and Senior Patrol Leader of my Scout Troop. I didn't get it because my parents were disconnected with my activities - instead, they would end up having to meet me at the activities because so often I had to be there earlier than anyone else or had to stay later than normal. It certainly had its perks my Junior and Senior year of High School, but at the same time I knew that I was allowed to drive it from home and to school, and if I wanted to go anywhere else with it, that had to be cleared with my mom or dad before I did it. And I had the right to drive my own car taken away from me on a couple of occasions.

I also had a cell phone - well, a "bag phone" at first - that I had to have because of my parents. That perk, too, had its rules and guidelines. Back then you got like 30 minutes a month or some outrageous thing, so I could only use the phone for calling home or emergencies. That phone helped me keep a clear head when I got into my first accident (1 year after getting the car) because I was able to contact the police and talk to my dad before making any other stupid decisions. I had to pay the deductible for the insurance and had to pay any increase in my insurance premiums.

Basically what I'm saying is that I agree with MS and others who think it's good for a parent to give their children the tools they need to succeed. But when you give them those tools you also have to put strict guidelines in place so that they know those tools can be taken away and that they will have to learn how to live without them just like a lot of other people.

I respect a lot of the people in this thread who have posted that they have risen out of nothing to make themselves what they are today, but I'd hate for your instinct to pound your chest and tell your kids about how you walked uphill in the snow both ways to school get in the way of providing your children with the best environment they can possibly have. My father grew up on a farm and was the oldest of 10 kids and had to get up every morning to feed the animals and take care of chores, but that didn't make him want to move us out to the country so that we had that same experience.

Whether we want to admit it or not, kids today are a whole lot smarter than they used to be and have access to a lot of tools that can make them unbelievably smart that most of us never fathomed. Competition's tough these days - isn't it our responsibility to give our children the tools to succeed while at the same time providing them with the moral compass to do what's right?

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MS,
    We're not going to see eye to eye on this. I don't really want to continue to reply to this thread as I think I've clearly expressed my perspective, but you addressed several of my points directly with questions that I feel complelled to respond to lest you feel you "got me" or something.

1)A cell phone is, still, a luxury. It's a nice convenience and it makes some aspects of my life much easier. But comparing my needs for such a tool as a parent, spouse, and physician to the "needs" of a 16 y/o high school student are ridiculous. It may serve as a tool for the parents and child to keep in touch and in cases of emergencies. But face it, 95% of it's use is to chat with friends and as a way to show off.

2)Laptop--your comment seems more like you're talking about a college student than a 16y/o HS student. I do think a computer of some sort (laptop or PC) is essential to the college student today. Convenient 'access' is important to HS students...but that doesn't equate to a laptop necessarily.

3)Do I think having those things would have make my life easier and would I have been lesser of a person for having them. Yes to both. While having 'stuff' is always nice and having a 'beater' in HS would've made getting around easier I'm not sure that I would have been a bit less appreciative and responsible had I gotten them. I don't think it 'necessarily' makes one lesser to get stuff, but it opens the door for that sense of entitlement. I'm glad my life has evolved as it has so far, I'd change nothing.

4) I think we agree that the material 'tools' for success today are different than in 1965 (wasn't around then so I can't be positive!), we just disagree on which are truely 'tools'. With notable exceptions a car, IMO, is not an essential tool, nor a cell, nor a personal laptop. Every case is different so I won't generalize that to everyone, but I think it's prudent to evaluate on a case by case basis just how crucial such items are.

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I will have to disagree with Danny on this one. I don't think these kids are smarter. You take away all these tools from a child who knows no world without them, and that child is lost, really. No clue how to proceed. Take a kid who never had these tools and he will be more imaginative and find ways to solve simple, life problems. I don't want to generalize and say all kids are stupid, but I certainly don't think these tools make them smarter.

17. popoff

popoff New Member

What, pray tell, does all this have to do with the original question?

As I recall, the guy asked for suggestions on how to deal with the situation with his daughter.

Maybe we could focus on that?

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

one thing leads to other and there you have it

lets get back on track

19. popoff

popoff New Member

Good idea!

Wish I would have thought of it. :D

20. Mystery Squid

As we'd all be lost if suddenly we were transported back to 1795, or deep within some 3rd world country... You seem to say level of imagination is somewhat contingent upon these tools (or lackthereof), well, who's to say they aren't equally imaginative within their realm? Would you have been any more or less imaginative if you didn't have wooden ABC blocks to play with (or chainsaws for that matter :lol: )?

I agree that in many ways they are getting smarter. Most 13 year olds can create, with ease, spectacular websites, for example. Ever been on "myspace"?
    Conversely, I would have to say that in other ways (and here comes a generalization) TV's and video games have, in essence "dumbed-down" many kids. A good friend of mine is a HS science teacher, a he flat out says that we (him and I) had the writing skills of his current kids when we were in, oh, 4TH GRADE. In retrospect though, I believe a 16 year old kid today carries more knowledge than a 16 year old 100 years ago. Or even 50 years ago. I guess it depends upon the standpoint, but IMO, when all is said and done, in aggregate, I would have to agree they are effectively, smarter today...

Don't mean to be a butt-in-ski, but I'm very intrigued with this thread!

edit: :lol: sorry, I missed the motion to move "back on topic".... :lol: :lol: