1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resetting window on Gen 1 when jam protection function isn't working

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by drs33, May 19, 2014.

1. drs33

drs33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We recently replaced the driver's window on our 2001 Prius, and now when the auto-close switch is activated, the window closes and then immediately bounces back open to halfway (triggering jam protection function). I know it's common to have to reinitialize the window in this situation, but can't figure out how to do it!

I have the Gen II+ instructions but they don't work for this car. Anyone know how it should be done on a Gen 1? The manual has no details, unfortunately. Thank you!

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anyone mess with the window motor/regulator? I know if you replace window motor on a Highlander Hybrid and don't center it you end up with symptoms you are describing. Only time I've seen a Gen1 window do weird stuff is if there is something physically blocking it inside the door.

3. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Have you tried the:

Run the window right down and continue to hold the button down for a slow count of five after it hits bottom. Then run the window right up and again hold the button up for a count of five.

4. drs33

drs33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I've tried that trick (that's how you reset it for Gen II and later, but didn't have any effect except to briefly stop the window from working all together for our car, sadly--went back to working as before when car was turned off and on again). It was a pretty standard window replacement, though the motor was briefly disconnected to replace it--but it appears to be centered and properly seated (opens and closes perfectly as long as you don't use auto close). So far all I've found is other people with the same problem in the same situation, but while the manual in the later models describes how to reset it, nothing I've found addresses resetting it for this car. I'll keep hunting!

5. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you unhooked just the wires, it won't matter.
    If you removed the motor from the regulator you may need to recenter it.
    Did everything work normally before you took it apart? The limit switch may have just "gone stupid" and require the reset procedure.

6. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the procedure to "re center" the motor if you removed it from the regulator.

ADJUSTMENT
    HOW TO RESET POWER WINDOW MOTOR (LIMIT SWITCH)
    NOTICE:
    If the jam protection function is not functioning properly, perform the following procedures.
    HINT:
    It is necessary to reset the power window motor (in initial position for the limit switch) when separating the
    window regulator from the power window motor or operating the window regulator with the door glass not
    installed.
    (a) Remove the power window motor.
    HINT:
    Place matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear.
    (b) Connect the power window motor and power window switch to the wire harness of the vehicle.
    (c) Turn the ignition switch ON.
    (d) Press the power window UP switch until the motor completes 6 to 10 rotations (4 seconds of rotation
    or more).
    (e) Assemble the power window motor and regulator.
    HINT:
     Install the motor when the regulator arm is below the middle point.
     Align the matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear when installing the power
    window motor.
    (f) Assemble the power window regulator and door glass.
    HINT:
    Never rotate the motor downward until the completion of the window glass installation.
    (g) Connect the power window switch to the wire harness and turn the ignition switch ON.
    (h) Repeat UP and DOWN operation several times manually.
    (i) Check AUTO UP → AUTO DOWN automatic operation is normal.
    NOTICE:
     The jam protection function does not operate immediately after performing reset.
     If the jam protection function is triggered and the window lowers after the window has been fully
    closed by AUTO UP operation (step i), reset the power window motor again.
    (j) Check the power window function.

7. drs33

drs33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We can check the motor and see, though it was only unplugged, not actually removed. The up/down repetition (along with holding down the button in both directions) is what I've tried. If I do that half a dozen times, it makes the window completely stop working (goes down and then no longer responds until I turn the car off and then on again) but doesn't seem to help any. Our mechanic just mentioned offhandedly when he last had the car that we needed to reinitialize it when we had a chance (which I knew) but I didn't think to ask *how* we were supposed to do that--I will next time I'm in! THhanks!

8. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The notes in my post above are from the official Toyota service manual. You may have to go through that procedure to solve your problem which involves removing the motor from the door/regulator.:(