1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Resolving suspension noises over bumps involving axle articulation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusfromevil, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Priusfromevil

Priusfromevil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've searched and read a few threads on tales of suspension groan/chatter, particularly over uneven ground that forces the front end suspension to articulate, think of a car with one tire going over a speed bump slowly while the other tire remains flat.
    I had a feeling it was either the sway bar links and/or the stabilizer bar bushings. I replaced the links, but had trouble getting the new bushings in for two reasons: the new bushings were tighter, and I had trouble getting the clamp around it to screw down because, I couldn't access that area without dropping the subframe. I've read folks taking the four rear-most screws out to lower the back of the assembly an inch or two. I tried, with a jack in place. I couldn't get it to budge (yes, I lowered the jack first).
    After 3 hours of playing around, I said f&^$ it and put the old bushings back in with some grease and put her back together. The suspension noise is gone, but I know the bushings need to be replaced soon, otherwise I'll wear through the links sooner than expected.
    Is there an easier way to do this with normal 2.5 ton jacks in the garage? Is removing or dropping the subframe the only way to accomplish this?
    Thanks!
    J