1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rewiring the "rear power outlet" to ALWAYS ON...

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've been think about it for quite a while, now.

I finally wired the rear 12 volt power outlet to "always on."

Rather than cutting the wire harness to the rear outlet and allowing it to be easily reinstalled in the original configuration, I just disconnected it from the wiring harness.

I made my own harness with the appropriate connectors and fitted mine with a mini blade fuse holder and a 10 map fuse. I wired it with 1/4 inch ring terminals directly to the battery.

Now, I can use my tire pump, without turning the car on, to top off a tire in most cases. Just remember to start the car after heavy use.

The nice thing is that I wired a 12 volt cigarette lighter like power plug to my battery maintainer. All I need to do is to plug the battery maintainer to the power outlet, and I can charge and maintain the battery.

Toyota should have done this in the first place.

Bmr4life likes this.
  2. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    There will always be too many idiots who plug in their fridge or boiler etc. and run the battery flat for Toyota to do that.

I have installed a pair of PowerPoles in the boot directly connected to the 12V battery via fuses and a 'battery saver' automatic disconnector. Mainly to power Ham radios but also to monitor and charge the battery directly if necessary.

Bmr4life and S.Bell like this.
  3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have two other vehicles, A 98 Dodge Neon, and a 2001 Chrysler minivan. Both have one "always on" 12 volt cigarette lighter power socket in front (with a several "switched power" sockets throughout the van). Honda's that I have owned in the past were also "always on".

Toyota totally paranoid about being sued. For example: every driver's side floor mat has clips that prevent the mat from ever possibly sliding under the gas pedal. I am surprised that they didn't come up with a way to disable the ignition, if the floor mat clips were not locked!

4. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So, you added an extra fuse(s) for the trunk outlet?

Did you upgrade the wiring to thicker cables for more juice power, too?

How much did it cost ya? I'm needing a back one on preferably drivers side to handle 1000 max continuous watts or better yet 2000 with pure sine inverter option. Length of time would be for 15 to 30 min . usually but could go up to an hour from time to time.

SM-N910V ?

5. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Feel free to contact me directly.

SM-N910V ?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it really being 'paranoid' when they do it after having been sued for a quadruple fatality crash where this was a major contributing factor?

This isn't just Toyota, my newer Subaru now does the same.
    Were those Hondas built before or after the market introduction of those battery draining thermoelectric coolers? My household's Hondas and Fords with always-on sockets were built before. My other brand cars with switched sockets were all built after.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It definitely won't go up to an hour ever, unless the car is in READY. 1000 watts continuous is 83 amps at 12 volts (and that's assuming a magical 100-percent efficient inverter). If the car's not in READY mode, that would take your 45-ish amp-hour battery from fully charged to completely flat in half an hour tops. (If the inverter has a low-input-voltage safety feature, it will cut off before that, to make sure you can still start the car.)

The 2000-watt will flatten the battery in half the time (if you really use that much power, anyway). It would also exceed the capacity of the car's DC/DC converter to run it with the car READY.

-Chap

S.Bell likes this.
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Remember the Prius 12v battery is smaller than a normal car's battery because it does not have to run a starter and its smaller to save weight and space.

If I really needed 2000 watts for an hour I would probably try to find a full size battery "jump starter" system that would charge on 12vdc or 120vac as needed. It would have a full size 12vdc battery inside and have its own smart charger built in. If I left it in the car to charge, I would charge it only on the switched 12v the car already has. It would have to be bigger than most of the $100 versions out there that have small batteries inside.

It is conceivable that the Prius 12v battery could be replaced with an appropriate high amp hour battery that could be used for 2000w for an hour but I would still need to buy a small lithium powered jump starter so I could start the car if the big offline load killed the car's primary 12v. A note about this option: The existing under floor space for the 12v battery won't accept anything bigger, so some creative mounting would be needed. Probably could still get one under the top floor panel through modification of the foam bins below. I would certainly test rig something like this to ensure it meets power and time requirements before permanently installing.

Probably the premium solution for high loads would be one of the high voltage 200 vdc to 120/240 vac systems that can literally run a house off a Prius (but only when in Ready mode to keep the HV battery charged). Then we have a quiet high output high efficiency gas generator, commonly known as a Prius. This works until you run out of gas.

#8 rjparker, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017