1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust repair near rear wheel well.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Prodarwin, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was checking for a bad rear wheel bearing (yup, got one), and when I went to jack up the rear of the car on one side the body made some crunchy noises and some rust dropped out. I looked around very briefly and it looks like its rusting right in front of the rear wheel. The rust hasn't reached the outside of the body yet - any tips on how to stop it before it becomes a problem (problem meaning cosmetic)?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Zinc strips?

Bob Wilson

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you mean the sill? Is it structural or cosmetic? Where in the World are you? Would the car fail its safety test with such rot? Is it due to a bad repair previously?

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not much one can do at this point. Cut out the offending area, weld in new steel and refinish.

When the car was new, it might be that the dealer did not put in the vinyl "plugs" that seal the shipping tie down holes in the rails in the front of the rear wheel wells.

5. Prodarwin

Prodarwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    North Carolina.

Not a previous repair. It is not structural. It is not cosmetic... yet.

I'll snap some pictures when I'm replacing the wheel bearing. I'm guessing getting in there with some POR-15 or some other rust stopper/converter is about all I can do at this point. Car has 162k on it... if I can make it last to over 200k before it makes it through the outside surface of the car, I think I'll be ok with that. If it looks difficult to stop, I may sell it soon before it becomes a major problem.