1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sales Rep: Leave deposits on several dealerships...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bruno_S, May 17, 2009.

1. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A Toyota sales rep from a local dealership told me to leave deposits on several dealerships to maximize the chance of getting the Prius I want. Anyone sees a any drawback from this strategy?

2. grimlock

grimlock New Member

Model:
    V
    I put a deposit down at my dealership and the sales manager and the sales rep NEVER said to go to other Toyota dealerships to put deposits down! Then again, deposits are fully refundable so if you decide to plunk the cash down you can always go get it back when you get the car you want

3. pdth

pdth Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suppose others might have different experience, but I can't say I've ever seen a refundable deposit. When I put down a deposit on my 2010 Prius last weekend, the dealer emphasized that it was NOT refundable. So if you're expecting to get it back, make sure you get the refundability in writing.

4. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats just wrong, in so many ways:(

5. mr.whit

mr.whit Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I was looking for my 2006 Prius w/package 6 the dealer told me "my word was good with him". I have ordered the 2010 from him also, do you see why NO MONEY DOWN.

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I asked my dealer if he wanted a deposit. He said none needed. I have dealt with them in the past many times. I deal directly with the sales manager (he was a salesman when I first started dealing with him a few years back). I am sure he will do everything he can to obtain my choice as soon as he can. As far as I know I don't think anyone else has asked for a Prius.

Most of the "Green" people around these parts still live up in the woods and drive their VW Bus so they are not competition for my car. So all I have to worry about is the people wanting a 50mpg car, and with gas cheap right now no one is giving up their SUV's.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a joke. What if that dealer takes 6 months to get your car?

There are dealers out there with little pull to get a Prius during a shortage. I'm not saying yours is. But last June, Hayward Toyota basically said they arent selling the Prius unless it's accessorized (with non-Toyota parts - sunroof) and marked way up.

Don't fall for the non-refundable deposit stuff. Get on a waiting list where they either don't take a deposit, don't cash your deposit check or do give a swift refund.

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not unusual.

In the first Gen 2 heat wave when there was a 6-12 month waiting list it was very common for buyers to have orders at multiple stores.
    • you should feel secure that the store is reputable, 99+% are;
    • you should get it in writing that if you do cancel because an earlier one came in that you get your deposit back; I've never heard of anyone who didn't;
    • you should get a 'cannot perform' date in writing;e.g. if the store can't get you your vehicle in say 90 or 180 days they you have the option of getting your deposit back with no ?? asked.
    I probably sold 50+ Prius' to various buyers with stipulations like this. I also never 'lost' a race. Ours/our customer's vehicle always arrived first. But it's WAY too early for any kinds of shortages to be appearing that might be similar to the first years of the Gen 2. Shortages are lost sales to the manufacturer. Bad juju.

1 person likes this.
  9. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FWIW, I have spoken to several dealers over the past two days (here in the PNW) and all of them told me that there will be plenty of 2010 Prius available this summer. None expects any type of shortage and this is coming from people who you would normally expect to raise the word shortage and use it to their advantage. One said "tell me exactly what you want and we will get it for you very quickly."
    And BTW, I checked out the one on the lot in Blizzard Pearl and it is absolutely a stunning color. That was my preferred color now it is my only choice.

10. cmumford

cmumford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm sure it takes at least some work on the dealers part to locate and reserve the car for you which is part of the reason they want a deposit. In my opinion if we want dealers to treat us right then we should probably do the same to them. How about telling them that you have multiple deposits? That might improve things since they know you're serious (your deposit), up front, and have other options.

I don't know - maybe I'm naïve and might get my Prius a little later than others, but will hopefully sleep a little better in the process.

11. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I explained that my lease was over July 2nd so the sales rep suggested placing deposits at several dealerships in the region. I only want a IV or V. If I cannot get it in time the 335d is the other green car that I am looking into. He explained that deposits are fully refundable and that if I use a credit card, the refund is easy since it goes back to the card. Tomorrow I am going to the largest dealership in the region. They will be getting 41 in June. About half are already taken. With luck I may still get a IV in a decent color in the month of June.

12. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the dealer write "Deposit refundable subject to test drive".
    So if something is wrong with the car I get my deposit back
    The dealer would probably have it sold 5 mins after that.
    I don't normally put deposits on a car but I need one soon. I just can't take the time to fly to Oregon to get one.
    Deposits can be refundable, different states most likely have different laws regarding that as well.
    That said I hope mine comes in soon but it will be 1st week of June.

13. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In cali all deposits for cars are refundable,

14. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Seems like it would be almost sensless if you stay within the same region? If the boat brings over a specific shipment and your desired car has to come from that shipment, then you'd think the dealer with the largest allocation (where you're close to the top of the list) should be able to get your car.

I wonder just how sophicated the dealer allocation distribution is? If one dealer gets 10 and another dealer only gets 1 in their allocation, what if the large dealer wants the same car as the small one. Who would get it?

15. pdth

pdth Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I think you're right about state laws. In Colorado we are sometimes lacking in consumer protection laws that other states might take for granted. Fortunately there's enough competition to at least ensure that we don't get over-charged or over-accessorized if we shop around enough.

I don't think the deposit is a big problem, though. I'm definitely buying the car and am first in line for the type II at this dealer. The way it works here I get my choice of car, so if I don't like the first one I can take a different one. And the dealers all over the state exchange cars all the time so I'm basically tapped into the entire state's inventory. Seems like that's something one should expect from a non-refundable deposit.

From talking with a few dealers, I don't see any sort of overwhelming demand or shortage, though I think this will be one of the hottest cars in an ice-cold auto market.

16. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure it is refundable. And I won't take a deposit if I know they have multiple deposits down at other dealerships. Look at it from the other side.

Dealer A takes a deposit and places you on the list. Customer A is happy. 2 weeks later, Customer B walks in and wants the same thing. Dealer A says, sorry, the first one is sold already. Customer B leaves. 3 weeks later, Customer A calls and says someone else already has the car, I want my money back. Now Dealer A has lost two customers.

The way I have been handling it is this way. If someone wants a car, but has multiple deposits down, I will not specifically place an order. If I happen to earn one on my allocation that is not previously sold, I will certainly call them right away.

17. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, I just put down the deposit so the dealer would reserve the car for me. I think making it refundable is a good idea. I bought a Ford mustang about 25 years ago and they dented the roof taking it off the transporter. :eek: So no way did I want that one. They did find a different one for me. So it was good.

18. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like you're happy with your dealership and you're also in Michigan. Which one is it and in what city?

19. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can we please ban yotarep? His multiple, repetitive, unhelpful, purely self-serving posts are getting really annoying.:mad:

20. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Or at the minimum, perhaps set up a specific thread for Toyota Dealer reps to offer their wares / available 2010s. Then users can actively communicate if they wish. If PC Members find unsavory characters - report them to Danny for banning.

And, for those posters like Jeff/Jabber that provide excellent & valuable information to us all, by all means continue on....

Also, if I may... a lot of us are not sticking to the particular subject matter of the Threads. Gets a bit confusing and irritating.

BTW - now I see that yotarep placed this same post on 3 Threads here - that is irritating....