1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sam's Club Refuse to install 195/60/15 on Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AAWADKE, Sep 20, 2007.

1. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

Has any one installed 195/60/15 at Sams Club. I was looking at GoodYear tripletreds. I was told they wont install non standard tire on any vehicle. They want to stick to their book which says Prius can only take 185/65/15. The cost differnce at local shops is over $120. Sams is the cheapest.
    Anyone got their tripletreads or 195/60/15's installed at Sam's Club or any national chain. I travel quiet a bit and dont want to restrict myself to local tire shops on warranty service.
    please help.......
    My other option was to go with 185 comfort-treads...but really want tripletreads for traction in snow....

2. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got the same treatment when I went in to get new tires for our Honda Odyssey. The local Costco would only install the OEM tire, and my goal was to get something else!

Why not just get the tires from TireRack.com and then take them to any local tire shop? TireRack even has a list of their favorite installers. They have a huge selection and you'll definitely save some money.

3. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

Say thank you to all those lawsuit happy citizens in the US.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Sep 20 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]515492[/snapback]</div>

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had no problem at all getting 195/60R15 Hydroedges at Costco.
    If the size is within 3%, they will make the change... and that is a 1.8% change or something.

I'm sorry that Sam's is being crappy with you.

5. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I got my TTs at Sears. I didn't have a great experience with Sears and had some regrets about not just going with the X-Radials from Costco (they have a MUCH better service plan) but I'm happy with the tires and they didn't give me any hassle over size.

Here is a thread I started after purchased the tires from Sears
    Linky

6. Jmad1138

Jmad1138 New Member

Costco in Burbank CA gave me the same info. Nothing but OEM size.

7. hawaiiguide

hawaiiguide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Sep 20 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]515492[/snapback]</div>
    I went to the Goodyear Dealer across the street from Sam's. Goodyear was much more expensive than Sam's... however, I told him I would rather buy from the tire dealer than a discount store if he could come closer to the Sam's low price. The Goodyear Dealer cut his price to 115.00 per tire... installed for a set of 205 /60R15 Goodyear Comfort Treds.

Why put on 195's when 205's are a bigger more powerful tire? Hope that helps.

aloha, richard

8. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We had the same problem with Costco, who will only install OEM tires, wheels, etc.
    We found 16" wheels and tires at Tires Warehouse, and at a much better price than at Costco.
    Our new tire & wheel size is now: Potenza, 205/55 R16 . Tire's Warehouse service was quick, very curteous and customer oriented. Also, liftime rotations and service.
    Another sidenote: Tire's Warehouse advised not to go any bigger than 205/55 R16 , due to issues not covered by safety measures. They could have made a lot more money by selling us bigger [and better], but satisfied our needs with good quality advice.

9. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawaiiguide @ Sep 20 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]515565[/snapback]</div>
    I might try doing the same with good year guys ....let see if it works :)

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my 195/60/15 TripleTreds from TireRack.com. Price was $360 ($90 per tire), plus $34 shipping, and NO TAX. I had them drop ship the tires to one of their recommended local installers who charged me $15 per tire. So, all in all, the total price installed was around $454. Cheap. It's a great tire - whether dry, rain, snow or ice conditions. It's my third set (had them on two other cars).

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Sep 20 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]515608[/snapback]</div>
    Another reason to go with Tirerack is that they will give a fit guarantee for non-standard tires that they determine will fit your car. I purchased Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in 205/60-15 with 15x6.5 inch wheels for my Touring edition from Tirerack. The tires & wheels were fit guaranteed and fit perfectly with no issues whatsoever. Plus, the price was right.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it help to tell them 195/60-15 tyres are fitted standard in other markets like Australia?

13. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got my Goodyear TT's (195/60/15) installed at Mavis Discount Tire, a pretty large tire chain here. The only thing that the guy behind the counter asked is "why?" So, I told him all the reasons, and that was that. Mavis was the least expensive here, yet it did cost just under $500. I've driven 5K on them already, and took them to Mavis for a free tire rotation.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 21 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]515664[/snapback]</div>
    Doubtful. The risk-averse mentality that formulates the OEM fitment policy is not based at the local store, but rather resides at some corporate office far, far, far away. The only way to get past the OEM fitment routine is to go elsewhere.

15. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tire America/Discount Tire in SoCal will install all-terrain mudders if you ask them too!

I got a set of Goodyear something or others (comfotreads I think) for about $450 in the 195/60/15 size no problems. Except for the tires are kind of crappy, the last a long time, but I've had two tires replaced due to bizzare failures. But Tire america was good about the replacement, pro-rated of course.

16. acdii

acdii Active Member

Don't feel bad they totally refused to even want to bring my truck in to put OEM size tires on it that they have in stock, it was "too big for their rack", yet while I was standing there they brought an excursion in. Morons. They then claimed they couldn't do it in their 60 minute time limit. I bet them I could do it in 45 and left. Costco did all 6 tires in under an hour AND remounted the two fronts onto spare rims I had for free, including valve stems and balancing. All that for $100 a tire plus tax.

Edit: I wondered how some posts doubled up, hit the submit button twice.