1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Service at 5000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nudriver, Dec 2, 2012.

1. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at the 5,000 mile point now and ready for my first free maintenance. What should I expect? I hope they're not going to charge me for any part of the oil change. Are there certain things I can get them to throw in for free if I play my cards right? Are there things they may try to charge me for that could be free? How long will the service take?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil is not changed at the 5K service. It's basically an inspection and tire rotation.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is no charge. They will inspect the car.

4. schlem

schlem Polygeek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really - no oil change?

5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    10,000 miles for oil change unless you're driving in harsh conditions like a dusty environment or used as a taxi with long idle times. EV use keeps ICE not in use that much.

6. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's ICE?

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Internal Combustion Engine

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOF is done at 10,000 miles or 1-yr, whichever comes first.

9. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're old school like me and insist on 5K oil changes, the dealer will gladly change the oil every 5K and charge you for it at the 5, 15, and 25K points.

JMD likes this.
  10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I have about 3,000 miles on my Prius and in 6 weeks or so I will be getting my 5K Maintenance. I recently visited the service center to pick up a Cargo Net from the Service Advisor. Nice guy offered me a free Danish and Starbucks Coffee. I said would it be OK to get the oil changed at the 5K mark although the schedule does not warrant it. He said sure but invested a few moments in telling me it is not necessary with new synthic oil and better engine design. My respond is better safe than sorry. He agreed and said it would not hurt just cost a few extra bucks.

11. Quattro

Quattro Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No charge for service. Good time to ask to reprogram seatbelt & continuous reverse beep for free.

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm probaly one of the few who like both. My wife says I should shut that damn think off. The reverse beep is loud though, if the volume can be lowered it would not be a hassle. One would think the beep should also be outside the car. The seatbelt is a good thing. If someone gets hurt in your car you may be liable, if the seatbelt on can reduce injury it is a win-win for everyone.

13. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I already had a dealership turn off the reverse beep-well, get it down to one, which is the best they can do. I like the seat belt beep. My wife hates it too, but I like being bothered by it, because it's a safety issue. Anyone know how long the 5k check will take?

14. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the dealer do the oil change after 5K miles and they didn't charge me. What they told me was that the maintenance was still free, but there's a certain amount of money allocated to what they do for each item of the free maintenance check/service. You can have them do an oil change after every 5K miles (or more often) if you wish, but after a certain amount of time before the 2 years are up, it'll cost you because your allocated amount of money will be used up. I think the oil change is the biggest single item charged, or maybe the air filters. At or near the end of the 2 years, you either pay for the maintenance or you can just not have something done and do it yourself.

Mike

JMD likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is very flexable of your dealer.

16. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    JMD,

I must tell you that from the way they were telling it to me, I thought that was Toyota's standard procedure. Now, I guess not, or at least I'd better start asking more questions. This is at Santa Monica Toyota. And on any average day, they do so many of these maintenance service, they can probably afford to be a little more flexable.

I also purchased the additional maintenance package as I didn't feel like crawling under my car much. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Mike

JMD likes this.
  17. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What exactly do they do in this maintenance? All I know for sure is that they rotate tires and top off fluids. Which fluids and what else? Also, how do you know for sure everything was done right? Can dealerships generally be trusted?

18. Me Here

Me Here Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was told you MUST use the dealership you bought the car from. Or at least for the package I bought, free maintenance for 60,000 miles. I think it cost me something like $600 and I know each oil change is over $100 because of the oil they use. I trust the dealership I bought and take mine to. That is partially because after my accident it had to go there and the service guy kept ME in the loop on everything, even though they were doing the work for the body shop that I picked. He would call and update me more often than the body shop ever did in the 2 months they had the car. One thing I would mention is check for your tire caps, maybe it's just me but every time I go to get air in my tires or them to be rotated they always leave off at least 1 tire cap.

19. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the heads up on the tire caps. You are referring to the caps on the tubes they blow the air into, right?

20. Me Here

Me Here Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, those are the ones.