1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SF Bay Area class tensions relating to tech workers & shuttles

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For those in the SF Bay Area, not sure how many pf you have heard of this issue relating to tensions in cities like SF and Oakland about tech workers living there and using private shuttles provided by their employers (e.g. Google, Apple, etc.).

In A Divided San Francisco, Private Tech Buses Drive Tension : All Tech Considered : NPR
    Tech buses blocked, vandalized in protests - SFGate Blog
    Protesters block Silicon Valley shuttles, smash Google bus window | The Verge
    Mayor Lee Plans To Charge Tech Companies ~$100K A Year For Shuttles Using SF Bus Stops | TechCrunch - Seems crazy that the the city will likely start charging companies $100K/year to use these bus...errr.. shuttle stops.

I recently showed one of the 1st three stories (or something related to it) to someone who's lived in SF for over 7 years and works in the South Bay. She was unaware of this tension, probably because her company doesn't provide any shuttles to/from SF.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll betcha if there were a legitimate threat of relocation then Frisco would rapidly reconsider. ;)

3. Gee3

Gee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you see the video with the fake "tech worker" arguing with the protester? They tried to make the tech worker look like a moron. But it later came out that the whole thing was staged. It made the protesters look dumb for pulling that stupid stunt, imo.

4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently heard from a buddy of mine who's now working in VA and rides a free shuttle with free wi-fi for his 3 hour roundtrip commute. Working as a consultant, he's billable from the time he steps on the bus until he returns home that evening.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a job perk. Nothing more nothing less!
    Everyday a White unmarked 737 takes off from McCarran International Airport and carries the workers to and from Area 51! That would be an interesting gig! The free flight is cool too!
    The fact that Google, Apple, etc can do this for their workers is nice. I would love to work at anyone of those places.
    But I will stay where I am at! It's cool also! It's also a 12 minute drive!

"Last month, the SFMTA said private commuter shuttle buses use roughly 200 SF MUNI bus stops to carry 35,000 employees back and forth between San Francisco and companies like Google, Facebook, Apple, and Genentech. Some consider this an unacceptable private use of public infrastructure that could be delaying MUNI buses and their passengers."

That's approx 30,000 cars, assuming there is some carpooling, that are not on the freeway twice daily! Stop the buses for a month, and put all those cars back into traffic and see how much better things are!
    I am kinda thinking all the bitching and whining is from idiots who weren't smart enough, or are not "smart enough" to get a job at any of those companies!
    What a bunch of pompus 'holes!

SageBrush and cwerdna like this.
  6. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get it. Are they Luddites?

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The major issue is that if a car stopped at a bus stop, even if it was to pick up people for a car pool, it could be ticketed. These buses haven't been ticketed to a possibly exaggerated sum of $1 billion. Giving the impression that they are somehow above law. I can see how that could irk some people after witnessing someone park in a handicap spot without the plates or tags but a Fraternal Order of Police tag. If these buses arrive at the same time as the municipal ones, then there will be a minor traffic jam at the stop. A further point of contention.

The stops with benches and lights do have a cost in maintenance, and these companies should have been chipping in since the beginning. The new fees need to be higher, but were limited by regulations until a public vote.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Two completely different issues are mixed up here. The practical issue in the previous post about logistics of moving people and the new social issue of San Francisco bus stops no longer being populated primarily with blue collar folks. The logistics issue can be completely solved with a little coordination and planning. The social issue will never be solved. As long as envy exists, this type of "protest" and "problem" will exist.

cwerdna and Trollbait like this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    SF should be *paying* the tech companies. Just think of the averted costs of putting all those commuters on tech company paid mass transit transporters. In a way this argument parallels PV and the electric utilities. The costs are apparent, the savings are swept under the rug. SF should know better.