1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I buy a high mileage 2010? Advice?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by d4foster, Jul 14, 2014.

1. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never owned a Prius but after paying $500 a month in gas for the last few year my wife and I have had enough. I've been scouring the internet for deals and have found a few that have caught my attention but I didn't act quick enough. However, I recently found a used Prius that has everything we are looking for and more (solar roof, moon roof, navigation, backup camera, black) at a price of $10,900. It was even purchased at this dealership and continually serviced by them too. The only catch? It has 165,000 miles on it. I showed the vehicle to my wife and she was instantly turned off as she (who will be the primary driver) puts approximately 20,000 miles on her car every year and wants a reliable and safe vehicle with lower miles.

Since I've been searching for a car I've noticed that there is quite the Prius following... so I come to you for advice. Is a high mileage Prius still a safe primary family vehicle? Would you let your wife and kids drive all over the countryside and still have peace of mind that they'll be okay and that it won't break down? Is 165k too many miles? What are some questions I should ask the dealership? How can I convince my wife that this is the way to go?

I mean really, we could sell her 2008 Saturn Vue AWD, not have to have a loan AND save BIG on gas. Or should I spend $2,000 more for a Prius hovering around 100k miles?

Advice? Recommendations?

Thank you for any input you can provide.

2. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Have you considered a full electric vehicle like a Focus Electric or a Nissan Leaf? You could get a brand new car and make the monthly payment with the gas savings.

3. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe in time, but since this is going to be a primary vehicle for our family we would need it not just for every day travel but for road trips as well.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! this is not the car for you. while many pri go 2-300,000 miles without major problems, there is considerable risk with any vehicle at that mileage, especially when adding 20k per year. what will 11k get you in a corolla or camry? maybe you need to reconsider your necessary optional equipment? all the best!

MSA14 likes this.
  5. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What mileage would you recommend we look for? We would prefer to get a 2010 but we'd only like to spend $13k max which means we will likely be purchasing a Prius with 100k miles. We honestly are completely fine with purchasing a base model Prius... we would just like to have the other stuff but it isn't as necessary as saving money and being practical.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long would you like to keep it for?

7. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We generally keep cars until they die... but I would say at least 5-8 years.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most Prius cars can go up to 200k miles with fairly low repair bills. But you have to remember this is a Hybrid and it's pretty expensive to fix at a dealership. If you have a traction battery failure, that is $3500. An inverter failure is $3000. Transaxle failure will be $4500. And so on.

If you can stomach repair bills like the ones I've mentioned, then a high mileage Prius isn't a problem. But if you can't stomach bills like that, it's best you stick with a lower mileage car. Estimated 20,000 miles a year will usually end up higher because you will want to drive this car more and more. At 25,000 miles a year, you'll do 200,000 in 8 years time.

If your budget is $13,000, you can go for a GenII with reasonable mileage. Then all you would have to save up for is a potential HV battery when it fails.

9. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the input and advice, although you may have given me a complex after that list of repairs. I think you talked me out of the 2010 with 160k miles... but I am seeing a lot of 2010's with 100k or just under 100k at our price point that interest me. I know buying a used car is a crap shoot sometimes but the old adage I heard was it's better to buy a newer car with higher mileage than an older car with less miles. Does that not apply to a Prius?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius is designed to go 180k miles, anything beyond that is gravy. High mileage would be a 2010 with 100k miles. I think that's a good mileage to search to get a relatively reasonable price and a reasonably reliable car.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think so. there are plenty of old pri here with 'lower' mileage and no problems. miles are hard on the battery, but heat is even harder. the tranny is pretty sturdy, but would be mileage based and the same with the inverter.

12. Grius

Grius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went through this same struggle last month and ended up buying new.
    I didn't even consider new until I ran the numbers, and it just made sense. Especially considering the 0% financing toyota was (and may still be) offering.
    Buying new removes nearly all the risk, and the Prius seems to have a high enough resale that depreciation plays a pretty small role. Add the warranty and 2 years maintenance and I had a hard time justifying used.

iPhone ?

hybridbear likes this.
  13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My gen3 Prius has been less than reliable and is only at 80,000 miles. I'd stick with lower mileage and avoid anything over 100k; people get rid of a car for a reason! :)

If you can't afford anything newer or with less miles, you can't afford a Prius with 165k miles on it. If anything goes wrong you'll be in a difficult place. The gen2 Prius is said to be more over engineered and might be worthy of further consideration.

14. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you can accept Gen II Prius (2004-2009), then the repair cost will be much lower. I quoted engine and transaxle from Autobeyours.com in IN, they can install a used engine with 65K miles for $1500 out of pocket. Add a transaxle will add maybe $700. Battery is $1000 installed.

You should go check used parts price, not new ones. I don't know much about Gen III parts.

I actually bought a 2010 Prius II month ago with 112K miles, and I drive about 30K/year. I have more confidence than average shoppers, obviously.

My confidence come from the Gen II, my 2004 Prius. Bought it 4 years ago with 106K miles, now 220K, the only issue is engine burning oil, that's why I am thinking about getting a 65K mile engine. At the cost of $1100 installed (by my own mechanic), it's nothing. The total maintenance cost in 4 years, 114K miles, is less than $1600, which includes everything from oil change to serpentine belt.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a tricky, tricky scenario.

A well maintained Prius isn't necessarily a bad purchase at 165,000 miles. But any and all vehicles start to reach the zone where maintenance issues will arise. And by your own admission you would be only 2 years away from having a Prius with 200,000 miles on it.

I guess I would say, the only way I would do it, would be if I purchased with the knowledge and ability to handle any maintenance/repair issues that might arise.

Otherwise, I would probably want to shave at least 65,000 miles off the odometer.

I also think, if you could find a lightly used, very low mile Gen 2, that might be a good deal.

There might be a considerable price difference between a 2009...last year of the Gen 2...and a 2010...first model year of the Gen 3.

16. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You guys have definitely convinced me to look for something with lower mileage. Have any of you had any luck finding a Prius at an Auction? I've heard both sides of the story regarding regular vehicles... but this seems like it could be an option to get what we are wanting. I was recently informed that a friend of a friend has a business that seeks out cars at auctions for people. Would you recommend purchasing a Prius at an Auction?

@AllenZ Thank you for reminding me of autobeyours.com. I forgot about them. I live in Michigan so it isn't too far of a trek if I needed something. Definitely an added bonus for peace of mind in the event something crazy happens.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have 90000 miles on my 2010. When it gets to the point when I can't rely on a car it's time for a new car. I have had zero repairs.

Cars go to auction for several reasons: They are too old, the mileage is too high, something expensive needs to be fixed. If a dealer can sell it off the lot it's not going to auction.

If you are putting 20000 miles/year on a car you really should be looking for lower mileage. That solar package on the car was probably $4000-$5000, especially if it's on a Four. I recommend looking for a new Two or Three as they are plentiful and there is probably a rebate or finance deal in your Region. If you can double the amount you want to spend you get a full warranty, a couple of oil changes & 8 more years out of the car.

18. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the reason dealer sell used car to auction company is because those used cars are at different price point (often too cheap) of which their target customers are looking for. New car dealers typically sell used car of up to 5 years old, in my impression.

19. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Then you shouldn't get a Prius. It's a terrible car for the highway. It is loud and bounces all over in the wind and is really uncomfortable. I'd suggest you look at a plug-in hybrid like the Ford Fusion Energi or C-Max Energi or Chevy Volt. That will greatly reduce you gas bill on your local trips by using electricity and will allow you to still have the unlimited range of a gas engine for road trips. The Ford vehicles are incredibly comfortable. The seats are amazing and the interior is well padded with high quality materials, unlike the cheap Prius interior.

20. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it. I'll likely continue to search for a used 2010 Prius online and through the auctions. Thankfully we aren't in any hurry to make the move right away so I hope that our patients pays off.