1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Should I keep a 2003 Toyota Prius w/ 133,000 miles (just completed an engine swap)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by MilkyWay, May 10, 2013.

?
  1. Keep

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Sell

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Short version: Should I keep a 2003 Toyota Prius w/ 133,000 miles that I purchased from original owner.

Long version: I bought it from her with a blown gas motor in November.

Mechanic put the motor in and it still wouldn't start in January.

Took to another mechanic that changed the 12V battery, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, did some work on the hybrid battery, spark plugs, etc., and he finally got it to work.

I haven't driven it too much but the 40 mpg is just too tempting to pass on.

Drives good so far, pretty clean, new tires, all windows/radio/heat/ac work perfect.

No check engine lights and no funny noises or issues thus far.

minkus likes this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gen I's can be considered "beta" models. The alpha was the Japanese only Generation 1 started in 1993/1994 (?) and sold in 1997. The improved version was sold as GenI worldwide, but it is still beta.

The battery itself is made of less durable cells. Failures in the 150K to 200K range is more common than on the GenII forwards (2004 and up). The battery terminals can corrode. The windings in the electric motor are more suspect to degrading over time which you can witness by the amount of copper on the magnetic ATF drain plug over time.

Basically the GenI is a good car and better than lots out there, but it is still a play toy that at this point should stay with original owners and collectors. If you want the trouble and hassle free operation of a Prius, ditch it and buy something 2004 and up. The improvements are so gigantic it is not even worth trying to compare them side by side.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't see any reason to NOT keep it.
    You went to the trouble of buying it, having a different engine installed, and having additional work done on various systems. It now appears to be working. Why NOT keep it?

If other problems arise, you can always decide to ditch it in the future. But if you didn't want it, I assume you wouldn't of bought it and invested this much in it. And nothing in your story about it suggests to me there is any immediate reason to not just enjoy it.

Unless you are dissatisfied with it as it sits now? Unless you think it's sale value or trade value is immediately at a Zenith and you simply want to upgrade?

It's the vehicle you bought. It's the vehicle you invested into, I'd just enjoy it, until I did not enjoy it anymore.

Rick atl likes this.
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep it and start saving money for replacement

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Used and cars outside of warranty coverage require some maintenance. Even small amounts of self-maintenance can lead to substantial savings. But I get the impression there is not even a Prius-aware scanner so you can't get a good set of error codes or see what is going on. I'm OK with out-sourcing work to a mechanic but only because the owner has some diagnostic information.

Keeping the car long enough to cover the mechanic bills makes some sense. But if you are not planning on any self-maintenance, the car has become 'disposable'.

Bob Wilson

6. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    it is not uncommon for your car to still be running and driving at 280,000 miles. any up-keep needed you can learn about on this forum. i'd say keep it and run it to the ground. i changed my attitude about year & mileage after taking a trip to cuba. haha

johnd900 and JMD like this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the OP should have asked a question before buying the car: Should he buy a 2003 Prius with 133K miles, known to need a replacement gas engine?

At that point I would have said no, if the car needs a replacement engine at 133K miles, that likely is indicative of poor maintenance by the prior owner and who knows what else is wrong. It is not uncommon that lack of use will lead to traction battery module failure, which the car experienced. Unless the OP can buy the car for close to nothing and has a four-digit repair budget available, continue to look.

Now that the OP has invested whatever was required to make the car operate, it would be reasonable to drive the car and receive some value for the financial investment.

If he can sell the car for more than what he has spent, and he doesn't like the car, then it would seem reasonable to sell it.

JMD, minkus and fotomoto like this.
  8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll add pictures later but here are some further details. I bought the Prius for $1700 from the original owner. The car was clean, I knew a used motor was only $400, it had brand new tires, and she said everything worked (windows, radio, air, etc.) aside from the gas motor.

At the end of the day I have roughly $3300 into a good running Prius. The only issue right now is that the coolant light comes on in blue, and then later goes off. I have only driven it 3 times so not very familiar with it.

Here is the list of things the second mechanic did to get it running:

1) Ground engine to frame
    2) Connection on front of engine
    3) Cleaned throttle body
    4) Cleaned MAF
    5) Changed spark plugs
    6) Charged high voltage battery 2x
    7) Fixed 12 volt broken wire at battery
    8) Filled engine and electrical cooling sqs and bled them (? hard to read handwriting)
    9) Fixed three phase high voltage from inverter to electric motor (all three wires were in incorrect places)
    10) 12 volt connection loose under three phase wires
    11) Removed inverter and water temp sensor trimmed knicks on guides so plug would fit into sensor. Replaced sensor and plugged in wires. Replaced inverter.
    12) Found bracket on AC line furnished bolt and bolted line down
    13) Filled brake Res (?) and pumped most air from the brake lines
    14) Put dry gas in gas tank
    15) ran car up to temp (hot A*R from heater)
    16) Made modification to battery compartment for new battery

*At this point the car was running and driving but not good. Sounded like it had a rod knock. We ran the engine codes and got a misfire.

17) It ended up being a broken fuel injector. He fixed it and so far runs amazing.

johnd900 likes this.
  9. MSAGRO

MSAGRO 2010 Prius Five with Advanced Technology Package

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Blue temp light is normal. Goes out when ICE is warm.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I agree that it is normal behavior for the engine cold temperature light to turn on when the engine is warming up. The point of that light is to remind you to go easy on the engine as it moves up to operating temperature. Newer Prius do not have this light or the turtle warning light.

2. Sounds like you have a reasonable amount of money in the car. If you like it then why not keep it and enjoy it.

3. Maintain a good working relationship with that second mechanic as he will become your valued partner if you continue to own your Prius. It appears he did excellent work at a modest price.

JMD and bwilson4web like this.
  11. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The first mechanic put the engine in for $850.

The second mechanic is a retired Ford employee that is pretty familiar with electrical systems. He converted a '94 Saturn into an electric vehicle and was EXTREMELY reasonable in price. For all the work he did he charged less than $400 and a lot of that money went into parts (spark plugs, used 12v battery, etc.). I think he really likes tinkering with any type of hybrid vehicle.

Do you guys have any pro-tips as far as preventative maintenance because I am nearly positive I am keeping the car. Will post pics probably tomorrow.

Here is the converted Saturn created by mechanic #2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

minkus likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please invite both mechanics to this forum in PriusChat. We often have new owners of older Prius show up here needing expert help.

Bob Wilson

minkus likes this.
  13. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will try to get him over here. He has a gen 2 prius. He moderates some random electronics-related forum.

14. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is my 03 Prius....So far so good. Got it with a full tank....Put some fuel injector cleaner into it. Waited till the gas light came on. Filled it up ($40.00) and reset the odo trip. I am at around 420 miles (I think) and I have 1 bar left. The gas light should come on any second. I am going to put a second bottle of fuel injector cleaner into it because it was sitting for soooo long (more than 6 months).

Also, should I flush the oil? I got the gas motor swap and so the oil should be fine but I've heard it should be cycled through 3 times to give it a good cleaning. Should I add sea foam or any other chemicals? Any maintenance tips for a 134,000 gen 1 prius?

Also, in case you cannot tell, I am not a mechanic and I am not even mechanically-literate. Looking for some pro-tips!

[​IMG]

15. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Install a new inverter (also cools tranny) coolant pump. Another customer called me today "car died on the freeway" in 80 degree weather. Pump went out, inverter and tranny got really hot. Luckily car cooled down and was able to limp to my shop.

If your car has over 100k miles, I suggest changing the pump as a preventative maintenance item. Just be sure you bleed it properly when replaced. It's a bit of a PITA to change/bleed the pump, but still easier (and way cheaper) than a new inverter and/or tranny.

And don't install a used pump, Toyota changed the design and supposedly it's "new and improved".
    Part number G9020-47022 $147 full retail price, internet parts sellers sell for less.

Here's a few months worth of Gen1 pump replacements we've done in Boulder;
    [​IMG]

yotatoter likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although mine's still humming away at 205+k, I've taken your advice and ordered one. It arrived today. Zinc-plated bracket.

Is it just me, or is this the most anonymous Toyota Genuine Part ever? I'm used to seeing even the lowliest minor parts proudly emblazoned with Denso, Yazaki, or the like. I can't even find a maker's logo anywhere on this thing. On the back there's a little yellow circle and a stamped code that looks like 1J5. That's it! Is that what they look like when you buy them?

-Chap

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    duplicate

18. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, they are pretty generic looking. Some new ones make a nasty noise when they first start up. (not enough coolant in them yet) Bleed it thoroughly and then bleed again after you drive 20 miles or so. You want to get all the air out of the system and make sure lots of "turbulence" in the reservoir.

You need to loosen front bumper cover and remove headlight to install. Some fasteners are under the black fender liner.

19. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got the P3130 code which was electric coolant pump. This is the code you were talking about, right Paul?

I got a bunch of lights on the dash. Car still drove fine. I noticed the windows were starting to roll a little slower and then it didn't accelerate when I was hitting the gas around 45mph. Then all of a sudden the lights on the dash got brighter (power was regained around 20mph) and I continued on. Was 30 minutes from my house and 2 times at 2 different traffic lights nothing happened when I hit the gas. I just shut it off and turned it back on and it was fine although check engine lights remained. Made it home fine, drove on the freeway 70-80mph fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, you should get a new "inverter coolant pump"