1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Side Door Molding Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 08 mag grey, Aug 27, 2008.

1. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    About six weeks ago I bought and installed the body side molding on my Prius. The instructions said to install them 13" front and 13 3/4 rear from the bottom of the door. A friend just bought the body side molding and his instructions said 16" front and 16 3/4 rear. I think his look too high.
    I've e-mailed the prius store and haven't received an asnwer.
    To those who have installed the molding which is correct.

:noidea:

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, the 13" instructions were the former instructions and the 16" instructions are the current instructions (and have been so for over a year now).

Personally, I think the 16" install, which is what I did on mine, will look better. But wouldn't you know it, I just got a major door ding that an 13" install would have caught!

Another thing for others: IMO, no matter what the instructions say (I think the instructions at various times have called for either a 1/2" or 3/4" height differential), the moldings will look better with a 1" height differential between the front and rear ends (and at minimum, a 3/4" height differential).

3. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My instructions do say 13" in front and 13 3/4 in the rear. After about two weeks I already gotten a ding on the molding and had to buy touch up paint to fix the ding. I wouldn't think my instructions are old as I just bought them about 5 weeks ago. My friend bought his about 2 weeks ago. Looking at the two I think the 13" is correct but ?????

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the 16" height is closer to the outer most bowing or protrusion of the doors.

But I don't think that 16" height is necessarily more protective, as evidenced by my and your recent dings.

Aesthetically, I think it's just a matter of personal opinion as to which height looks best, and the moldings look good at both heights.

FYI, here are photos of my Mag Grey with the moldings installed in accordance with the 16" instructions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congrats on your Mag Grey Touring. My biggest regret was not getting the Touring Edition. I have a serious case of Touring envy.

5. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here's a Picture with the molding at 13"
    I see the difference in the distance below the door handle.
    Both look good.

I really like the touring. I've but 2,400 miles on it in lees than 8 weeks and like the way it handles, rides etc.

Attached Files:

6. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tom,
    Two questions, one, how do I post pictures so that they show up like yours did ??
    Two, when I post I don't see my post in the "View New Post" area.
    What am I doing wrong??

Bob

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Under the present software of PriusChat, you can post a photo so it is directly in the text of your post (and not on the bottom as an attached thumbnail), only by inserting a URL address of a photo as it has been uploaded onto a photo sharing site or otherwise on the web. So:

1. First upload the photo or photos to a photo sharing site like flickr. Or better yet perhaps, click on the "Photo Albums" link on the top of this page, and create your own album of photos uploaded to and hosted by PriusChat.

2. Then when you are posting and want to insert a photo, you must either (a) click on that yellow mountain/sky/sun icon on top of your post which is an "Insert Image" icon, and insert the URL of the photo you want to insert, or (b) manually type into your post the URL of the photo you want to insert.

In either instance, you must make sure that the photo's URL address is preceded with "[​IMG]" with no space between them and the URL address.

3. Then preview the post to see that the photo is in the text correctly.

4. Then if everything's OK, submit the post.

In my case, I've created a Photo Album on PriusChat, which I update from time to time with additional photos.

If I want to insert any of those photos into a post I'm writing, I go to my Photo Album, click on the photo I want to insert, copy the URL address of the photo -- note that below any photo you'll have both a line with the URL address alone and a line that begins with "bb" and is the same URL address already preceded with a [​IMG], so usually I just copy this "bb" version of the URL address -- and then I paste that URL address into the text of the post I'm writing.

Note, that you can also do this with photos or images that are on the web by first getting the URL address of the photo or image (right click on the photo and click on "Properties" to get the photo's URL address), and then inserting that photo's URL address (again, preceded by [​IMG]) into your post.

Finally, I'm hardly the most knowledgeable person on this stuff. So there are probably better or other ways to do it.

Regarding "View New Post" - In the old days with prior software, if you clicked on View New Post, the thread that you just posted to would be among the threads listed. But with the current software, it doesn't do that. Instead it correctly assumes that you read or saw that thread after you posted, so it doesn't show it.

If at any time you want to see a full chronological list of both posts/threads that you've read and haven't read, then click on the Quick Links link and then click on the drop down menu's "Today's Posts". This will produce a complete chronological list of unbolded titles of threads that you've already read and bolded titles of threads that you haven't read yet.

8. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for you input.

Bob

9. westy72658

westy72658 Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought my side moldings at the prius chat store and they came in with no instructions at all. Could anybody that has a set of directions post them for me?

Wait, I found the directions sorry!

10. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just received my body side moldings and the directions said 15" front and 15 3/4" on rear door. These measurements are where the top of the moldings would rest.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, my instructions were different than yours and others posted in this thread. Mine were 16.25" front and 16.75" rear.

Personally, I think it's best to have a one inch differential with the front being 15.75" and the rear being 16.75" -- see the following thread, especially Rokeby's posts, instructions and photos:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...essful-body-side-moldings-installation-4.html

BTW, I would suggest using either rectangular magnets or a batten (like Rokeby does) to hold up the moldings while installing them. This should insure a straight installation. Relying just on painter's tape can be risky.

Good luck.

12. westy72658

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks a lot for your Help!!

13. phdchp

phdchp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If anyone is interested in purchasing these side moldings at a good price, some one on Ebay (not me) has these moldings for 2004-2009 models for a starting price of $10. However, the minimum price is $30. I bought a pair, and they are good. They are made by Dawn. The ones I got were good quality and the paint match for driftwood was very good. I took the recommendation from BOO and installed them at 16 3/4 and 15 3/4 from the bottom of the door to the top of the molding. They look great! It is a good cheap way to get them installed.