1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silly Question about Gas Cap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bahamut God, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Bahamut God

Bahamut God Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So for the last few months, I've had my check engine light on my 111,000 mile 2005 Prius going off sporadically. Everyone tells me it's the gas cap, but I've been putting off replacing it because I want to make sure I get something compatible.

Do I need to go buy a special gas cap of any kind, or will one of the 10 dollar Slant replacements off of Amazon work?

Also from what I've read, I should expect it will take a few drives over 20 minuets before the check engine light clear outs, assuming it really is just the gas cap, right? When Should I start to expect something else may be wrong?

Thanks!

2. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

more likely you need an oil change?

3. Bahamut God

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply! I hope its that easy but I took the car into my Mechanic on friday, got an oil change then. Still have the check engine light on. (He didn't replace out the gas cap for me though.)

He's a big fan of if it isn't broke, don't fix it, point of view. I often have to fight with him to do repairs rather than wait until something really breaks, which is one of the reason i like going to him. He's never recommended getting un-needed repairs.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Courtesy John1701a here is how to try a MAINT REQ reset for oil change....

5. Bahamut God

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, the maintenance light isn't on anymore, just the check engine light. Not sure if those instructions are meant for the maintenance light or the check engine light. Also I shouldn't do this until after I have replaced the gas cap right?

6. Bahamut God

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, that Stant fuel cap was the one I was looking at, just purchased it. Thanks!

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^sorry my tip was for the MAINT REQD light which I thought might be on. I do not have a fix for the CHECK ENGINE light. Except as you say sometimes it resets by itself if the problem goes away..

8. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you tried checking it for codes? Your mechanic should have a scanner, and most parts stores like AutoZone will scan your car for free.