1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skid control unit and brake stroke sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Osgrr, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Osgrr

Osgrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm new to this forum and so happy to find all this information! I have a 2004 Prius with 88,000 miles on it. We replaced the auxiliary battery two years ago and both water pumps in October. Now, I was driving about 60 miles on Sunday, got into the garage and the brakes wouldn't stop then jerked to a stop-thankfully! Lights came on the dash....the ! Surrounded in yellow, abs, vsc, all came on. The dealer is telling me I need to replace the skid control unit module and the brake stroke sensor. From some information I have read on this forum, I have the idea it's possible the coolant pump isn't working? The dealer is quoting a $2500.00 fix. Ugh. Any way to DIY or get used parts for this repair?
    Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would need the DTC to confirm the dealer tech's diagnosis. You can find repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com and that will help you to decide whether you can replace the skid control ECU yourself. Used units from salvage vehicles are available for three-digit amounts.

You can confirm whether the inverter coolant pump is running by making the Prius READY and looking for fluid turbulence in the reservoir. If you see this then the pump is operating.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. Osgrr

Osgrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you. I'll get the DTC number tomorrow and check the inverter coolant pump.

4. Osgrr

Osgrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The DTC is C1247

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    C1247 points to either the skid control ECU or the brake stroke sensor. So the dealer tech diagnosis was reasonable and since you would be paying the bill, he suggested that you get to pay for both parts.

6. Osgrr

Osgrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So would it be reasonable for them to replace the brake control sensor first and go on from there?
    Thanks much!

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be reasonable to figure out which was the less costly repair and do that first.

8. Osgrr

Osgrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for your help. We are going that route. They told me that the sensor is shorting out so I'm hoping that's all it is.