1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Smart key does not work consistently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by joden1991, Sep 23, 2008.

1. joden1991

joden1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an 07 Prius. The smart key works sometimes. I keep it in my purse. about 80% of time, the car will start with it in my purse, the rest, I have to take it out and put in car. It is the same with doors. 60 to 70% it unlocks by touching the handle, the rest of the time I have to take it out. There does not appear to be a pattern or place where it works or doesn't. I have replaced the battery. It still does it. I got the spare key from the house, replaced it battery, and it also does the same. This tells me it is something in the car and not the key. I have reset the button under the steering wheel. It did start happening at the same time I got my iphone. could that be a problem? Any suggestions. Do I have to take it to the Toyota house?

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    try keeping the key away from a cell phone, it can interfere. the button under the steering wheel is not a reset switch, its just an on off switch

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. Next time it doesn't work, try this: take it out of your purse but don't put it in the slot. See if it will work as a "smart key" when it's seperated from your phone.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :DIf your like my wife, there's enough stuff in her purse to stop the signal at the National Defense thing in Colorado from tracking the missles never mind the smart key signal LOL.:behindsofa: