1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So how sturdy is that plastic plate under the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Horsefeathers, May 10, 2014.

1. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I straddled a rather large turtle in the middle of the road today. It clunked under my car and made an awful racket. Turtle appeared to be ok-ish. How worried do I need to be about that plastic plate under my Prius? I pulled off to have a look, but all I could tell was that there were no obvious parts hanging out from under it. Should I have it put on a lift for examination or is it likely ok? I am still a Prius newbie and not sure what all that plastic piece that runs underneath the car is protecting, but if it's cracked or broken, I would guess a concern might be water getting where it shouldn't. Help me gauge my worry from probably-nothing to I'd-get-that-looked-at?

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The one under the engine? If it's not torn up, it should be fine.

3. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I'm trying to gauge the likelihood that anything is torn up and whether or not I need to have it put on a lift for examination or if that plate underneath is super solid and likely to withstand a direct hit from a turtle. I can't really shimmy under there to have a good look, and I wouldn't really even know what I was looking at, anyway. This Prius is still pretty foreign to me in a lot of ways, so I may end up asking a lot of what turns out to be silly questions. Good thing I don't embarrass easily, I reckon.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it was this turtle, I wouldn't worry too much.

[​IMG]

Horsefeathers likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gamera!!! :eek: :D

SCH-I535

6. Horsefeathers

Horsefeathers Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha! Well, I reckon it wasn't that critter, so maybe it's ok. It was just awfully loud and clunky under there. Prius sure does sit pretty low.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Next time it's on a lift have them check that all the plastic fasteners are still there. The undertray is designed to flex. It's not there as armor, it's there for air control. Have a look at the rear bumper-cover. Pearl had her rear bumper-cover popped out from a "freed" truck tread.

I'll bet that turtle is sore!

8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have to believe it's designed to withstand a fair amount of impact energy... short of Gamera.

dorunron likes this.
  9. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's just there for air. I reallt doesn't protect much. The dealers tore my oil change door off. The only problem I noticed with that is we got 12 inches of snow this year and the hole in the panels became a snow shovel and forced snow onto the others panels and it pushed two others off. I fixed them.

10. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My plastic shield developed a hole -- perhaps from when I had to drive through a deep puddle -- and for a while it dragged on the ground. The dealership assured me that there was no problem with leaving the hole alone because there was no electrical equipment above it.