1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So I was browsing used plug-in priuses...

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Ashlem, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother showed me a used 2012 advanced plug in prius. It looks good, has really low miles (7,001), and a really low (compared to other used ones) price of $22,988.

CarGurus - Used Cars For Sale. Find used and pre-owned cars in your area - CarGurus

That said, a red flag triggered in my head. Why is it being sold so cheap? I looked at other used pip advanced models, and they're consistently in the $24-30k range, with more miles on them as well.

Carfax claims it's clean, but autocheck on this car at dealer's direct site says it was in a collision on the left front side of the car. I have also since learned that carfax is pretty worthless other than to screw you during a trade-in.

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hatchback For Sale in Amityville NY | JTDKN3DP9C3006093

Much as I'd like to own an advanced pip, even used, does a really low price usually indicate there might have been a problem? It could very well just be it's a slow seller, as pip has a "bad" reputation for its "only 11 miles ev range" that may cause people to scoff at it (yeah, we all know on this site they're awesome regardless).

Maybe I'll just buy a new gen 2 PiP when it comes out. Yeah, it'll cost way more, but at least it won't have a "history" behind it I may not know about...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are these cars all in the same area? region can affect price. that doesn't sound too far off around here. you should be able to get more info on the accident.

3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. daddyd302

daddyd302 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What Are Common Bad Dealership Practices? | Auto Fraud Legal Center

• “Certifying” Defective Vehicles: A certified used vehicle is a refurbished vehicle that has undergone an inspection and received certification from a manufacturer or dealer. In theory, they guarantee that the vehicle is in good working order and come with an extended warranty. However, in many cases, dealer certification is covering up the fact that the vehicle has frame damage, is a former salvage or has any other number of deficiencies.

Certified Used Vehicle Programs Reject Cars with Accident Damage | Articles

There's a few here and there mostly on the east coast.

Used Toyota Prius Plug-in - in 53227 Area - on Cars.com

#5 daddyd302, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  6. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

I believe that the incentives are what drive those prices down. People would just buy new and get the $$ back..high priced used ones would just sit.

I understand the deal with certified cars, but if Toyota corporate found a dealer was doing this, I would think they would hammer the dealer..at least we would hope